$1000 Closed back HP suggestions
Jul 9, 2022 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

killermax

Head-Fier
Hi,

Im looking for a fun and responsive pair of closed back headphones used for all types of media consumption.

Main genres that I listen to: rock, modern pop music, electronic stuffs.

I have a budget of around $1000.

By the way, how much should I set a budget aside for a dac and an amp?

Jul 9, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 15
Hi, I'd suggest the Denon D9200 used if you can find it. It might run $1100-1200 in great condition. It doesn't require an amp but scales well if you have one.

For amp and dac, are you planning on any other specific headphones down the line? Like a ZMF or hard to drive planar?

Jul 9, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 15
Forgot to add shor
Hi, I'd suggest the Denon D9200 used if you can find it. It might run $1100-1200 in great condition. It doesn't require an amp but scales well if you have one.

For amp and dac, are you planning on any other specific headphones down the line? Like a ZMF or hard to drive planar?
Thanks for the reply.

Currently im shortlisting some of these headphones:
(used) kennerton Gjallahorn GH50 with JM mk2 mod
LSA HP-2
DCA Aeon 2 Noire

Im currently not looking to get any specific headphones down the line (YET).
But i currently have a Qudelix 5k as a dac/amp.

Jul 9, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 15
Forgot to add shor

Thanks for the reply.

Currently im shortlisting some of these headphones:
(used) kennerton Gjallahorn GH50 with JM mk2 mod
LSA HP-2
DCA Aeon 2 Noire

Im currently not looking to get any specific headphones down the line (YET).
But i currently have a Qudelix 5k as a dac/amp.
The 5k would suffice the D9200 for now. From your list, I wouldn't personally describe the Aeon 2 Noire as fun. The Gjallahorn I've only heard briefly and never the HP-2, but if you're looking at wood, there's also the Atticus. That would require a deserving amp.

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 15
The 5k would suffice the D9200 for now. From your list, I wouldn't personally describe the Aeon 2 Noire as fun. The Gjallahorn I've only heard briefly and never the HP-2, but if you're looking at wood, there's also the Atticus. That would require a deserving amp.

I'll short list the zmf atticus and the denons as well. Do I have to find a new amp in order to power the ZMFs?

How much budget should you invest in a dac amp? Like 50% of the headphone price?

Jul 9, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 15
You will have to find an amp if you get the ZMF, yes.

What you get will be totally dependent on how much you can spend on them, and if you want to go tubes vs. solid state. A popular starter tube amp is the Bottlehead Crack, which is a few hundred used.

If you won't get a ZMF, then I'd just go solid state so you have the flexibility of XLR out for other headphones.

DAC options vary. The RME has a lot of flexibility if you want to play with settings. I'm a personal fan of R2R DACs myself.

Jul 9, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 15
How much budget should you invest in a dac amp? Like 50% of the headphone price?

With the Denon 9200, there's not much value in buying anything else. The Qudelix will be more than adequate. Personally I'd only "upgrade" because LDAC is such a fussy protocol that I've given up and gone back to wired options. 50% of headphone cost for amp/DAC is unnecessary, and talk of "scaling" is generally more a religious belief than anything pragmatic assuming you're dealing with modern, well executed engineering that can supply adequate power for your volume/EQ needs.

I had the 9200 for awhile, it's one of my all time favorites and I would still own it were it not for the fact Stealth was invented. any dongle will work in this scenario: E1DA 9038D is a good choice (if you can get one), but I used the 9200 with Qudelix, iBasso DC03, Meizu Hifi non-Pro, even the HP out on my S10 5G without issues. Note all those were SE suggestions, balanced is actually a good idea due to the sensitivity of the 9200's to lower noise but certainly not a requirement (I never bothered). I also tried them with iFi Diablo, iFi Signature, Topping A90 and L30 but all those added was painfully loud volume

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 15
I will definitely take a look at the denons. Im not sure that there are shops that import the 9200 near me. I'll just have to do some more internet research and take a leap of faith. If going with a more expensive solid state amplifier will only result in a louder volume, i think ill just stick with what i have and save some $$$

Never heard the Bottlehead Crack. I'll take a look at these. I've seen too many reviews on Schiits, Topping, SMSL and so on.

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 15
Hi,

Im looking for a fun and responsive pair of closed back headphones used for all types of media consumption.

Main genres that I listen to: rock, modern pop music, electronic stuffs.

I have a budget of around $1000.

By the way, how much should I set a budget aside for a dac and an amp?
ETA Mini C for $400. Sounds good and generally correct out of anything (including MBP headphone jack), but does not scale with better electronics (don't think that matters to you any way). I guess another way to look at it is you don't need to buy any external amp to get most out of the headphones.

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 15
ETA Mini C for $400. Sounds good and generally correct out of anything (including MBP headphone jack), but does not scale with better electronics (don't think that matters to you any way). I guess another way to look at it is you don't need to buy any external amp to get most out of the headphones.
ive never heard of them. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the recommendation

Jul 9, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 15
Was in your position a few months ago. Got the DCA Aeon 2 and didn't gel with it: found the design a little uncomfortable (ears touching the inside of the pads creating hotspots) and the sound was too bright for me and lacking dynamic punch.
Ended up with a pair of used Focal Celestee (should be within your budget): they're not perfect (narrow soundstage) but sound better than the Aeon 2's in my view, especially on comfort where they are miles ahead.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 15
I've Googled them and read a few things. I'm [mostly] listening to Electronica (Trance, Progressive, Techno, House, Afro, Ambient, etc). I'm using a Qudelix-5K and a Mojo 2. Would you recommend them to me? How strong is the clamp force? Can one move inside the house, do the chores and cook, and wear them, do they stay on the head? Finally, how do you think they compare versus the KLH Ultimate One?

Thank you

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 15
I've Googled them and read a few things. I'm [mostly] listening to Electronica (Trance, Progressive, Techno, House, Afro, Ambient, etc). I'm using a Qudelix-5K and a Mojo 2. Would you recommend them to me? How strong is the clamp force? Can one move inside the house, do the chores and cook, and wear them, do they stay on the head? Finally, how do you think they compare versus the KLH Ultimate One?

Thank you
Works fine out of mojo. Can move around the house and you can adjust clamping force if need. No idea about KLH.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #14 of 15
Works fine out of mojo. Can move around the house and you can adjust clamping force if need. No idea about KLH.
Thanks a lot, man! They will be my next pair, but I need to buy a laptop first. I was looking at Dan Clark Audio, I respect the man, but they are not for my genres most probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back