$1000 budget, best straight-down iems?
Jul 14, 2017 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

hibana

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a new member on this forum and would like to get an expert/semi-expert recommendation for a good non-custom, straight-down iem with easily replaceable cables, mmcx or whatnot.

I currently have the Titan 5. Used to have the Titan 1 as well, but the lack of a detachable cable did not make the iem live that long, and I feel like the Titan 5 has a more balanced sound. I have easily 400+ hours with my Titan 5, and they still feel great like they're straight out of the box; however, I want to get something better with my higher budget.

I've been looking at the JVC HA-FW01's and a review thread on here make it seem pretty good, but I want to consider any other options that are available at this budget and are relatively "new" (can't seem to find any threads regarding these specifications made within the past few months).

Volume control buttons on the cable are also a plus.

Cheers

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 9
For a $1,000 budget, I would suggest looking at over/around ear in ear monitors. There aren't really that many "straight down" in ears at the higher end budgets. However since you prefer the "straight down" in ears, I would suggest giving the Sennheiser IE800 a good look. For roughly $600-800, you'll get a wonderful sounding in ear. Also any of the JVC FX wood series are good as a "straight down" in ear as well and they are perfect for your music taste. Sony also makes great in ears that can be worn straight down such as the Sony XBA-A2, Sony XBA-H2, and Sony XBA N3AP.

Heres a list of my suggestion for the in ears that might intrigue you:
1.) Sennheiser IE800
2.) Sony XBA-A2
3.) Sony XBA-H2
4.) Sony N3AP
5.) Sony XBA-300
6.) Sony XBA-40
7.) JVC HA-FW01
8.) JVC HA-FX1100
9.) Audio Technica CKR10
10.) DUNU DN-2000

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 9
Perhaps a pair of used pair of Campfire Audio Andromedas. They seems to be a jack of all trades universal IEM. They retail new for $1100 USD so I'm sure you could find a good used pair for under a grand.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 9
Perhaps a pair of used pair of Campfire Audio Andromedas. They seems to be a jack of all trades universal IEM. They retail new for $1100 USD so I'm sure you could find a good used pair for under a grand.
Only problem with that is OP wants to be able to wear the in ear straight down instead of over the ear like the Campfire Audio Andromedas and other in ear monitors.

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 9
For a $1,000 budget, I would suggest looking at over/around ear in ear monitors. There aren't really that many "straight down" in ears at the higher end budgets. However since you prefer the "straight down" in ears, I would suggest giving the Sennheiser IE800 a good look. For roughly $600-800, you'll get a wonderful sounding in ear. Also any of the JVC FX wood series are good as a "straight down" in ear as well and they are perfect for your music taste. Sony also makes great in ears that can be worn straight down such as the Sony XBA-A2, Sony XBA-H2, and Sony XBA N3AP.

Heres a list of my suggestion for the in ears that might intrigue you:
1.) Sennheiser IE800
2.) Sony XBA-A2
3.) Sony XBA-H2
4.) Sony N3AP
5.) Sony XBA-300
6.) Sony XBA-40
7.) JVC HA-FW01
8.) JVC HA-FX1100
9.) Audio Technica CKR10
10.) DUNU DN-2000

No easily replaceable cable on the IE800's in case the cable screws me over one day. I'll look into the Sony's but the HA-FW01 seems to be the only one matching my specifications so far of those 10.

Not straight down unfortunately

Jul 17, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Why would you prefer a straight down type of IEM? I used to be like you until I tried good IEMs (over the ears) and never looked back

The best IEMs mid-fi and above are mostly over ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back