100% Volume ~ all the time
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14
Hey all,

I've recently upgraded my computer speakers and unlike my last pair they have no volume control on the actual speakers. I am unable to turn down the master volume and have to set each program, like Foobar to -40dB to even make listening levels tolerable. If I forget and visit YouTube I am blasted out of my chair.

- Windows 10
- Both my speakers and subwoofer are connected to me PS Audio DLIII DAC via USB.
- USB Audio CODEC is set as the default device.

I know lots of us use external USB sound cards, how did you handle the problem?

Mar 1, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 14
I know lots of us use external USB sound cards, how did you handle the problem?
Very simple, we don't have this problem as Windows Master Volume control simply works.
If it doesn't the manufacturer probably has disabled this option at the DAC site.
Check if you can change the volume
USBLevels.jpg

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 14
Windows volume control does nothing.

Okay so here's my setup...
Windows 10 > USB > PS Audio DLIII > XLR cables > Temblor T10 > XLR cables > Eris-E44

I also have a Line 6 Pod HD500x and everytime I want to use it, I have to unplug my XLR cables from the PS Audio DLIII and plug them in the Pod. - I feel like I am missing a piece of hardware but I don't know what to look for?

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 14
@Graphicism your setup is correct. Windows volume should be fixed at 100%, to ensure bit perfect output to the DAC. Probably the PS Audio driver set that for you, along with WASAPI Exclusive mode or ASIO.) In that configuration, it's assumed that you'll have a good preamplifier inline between the DAC and the next stage.

Many of us have a combo headphone amp + preamp in that position. If the same PS Audio generation included a matching preamp that might be cool. I have a Schitt Magni, but if you want to use XLR cables there are many other choices (including the Schiit Mjolnir, though that would be a trip down the rabbit hole to tube land).

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 14
@Graphicism your setup is correct. Windows volume should be fixed at 100%, to ensure bit perfect output to the DAC. Probably the PS Audio driver set that for you, along with WASAPI Exclusive mode or ASIO.) In that configuration, it's assumed that you'll have a good preamplifier inline between the DAC and the next stage.

Many of us have a combo headphone amp + preamp in that position. If the same PS Audio generation included a matching preamp that might be cool. I have a Schitt Magni, but if you want to use XLR cables there are many other choices (including the Schiit Mjolnir, though that would be a trip down the rabbit hole to tube land).

What would I be amplifying? - I have a Darkvoice 336i Tube amp that is also in my chain, however this solely feeds my headphones. Both the speakers and subwoofer are powered.

I think you're right in terms of bit-perfect output. I've been out the 'game' for a while but seem to remember something along those lines.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 14
What would I be amplifying? - I have a Darkvoice 336i Tube amp that is also in my chain, however this solely feeds my headphones. Both the speakers and subwoofer are powered.

I think you're right in terms of bit-perfect output. I've been out the 'game' for a while but seem to remember something along those lines.

OK so you don't need the head amp part, but you do need a preamplifier: in other words, a volume control. If you're not also using the Darkvoice to be the volume control for your speakers and sub, then something as simple and inexpensive as a Sys would do: http://www.schiit.com/products/sys

(I'm not specifically trying to push Schiit, but I like their products and these are good examples.)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 14
OK so you don't need the head amp part, but you do need a preamplifier: in other words, a volume control. If you're not also using the Darkvoice to be the volume control for your speakers and sub, then something as simple and inexpensive as a Sys would do: http://www.schiit.com/products/sys

(I'm not specifically trying to push Schiit, but I like their products and these are good examples.)

Right so I would need a preamp after my DAC, so it would go: Windows 10 > USB > PS Audio DLIII > XLR cables > preamp > XLR cables > Temblor T10 > XLR cables > Eris-E44

I need to find a preamp with XLR.

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 14
Right so I would need a preamp after my DAC, so it would go: Windows 10 > USB > PS Audio DLIII > XLR cables > preamp > XLR cables > Temblor T10 > XLR cables > Eris-E44

I need to find a preamp with XLR.

There are many choices. I don't have any recommendations, but I do like to practice my Google-fu on a Sunday morning:
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Balanced-Passive-Pre-Amplifier-Controller/dp/B01M4I9EOK
https://luminousaudio.com/products/axiom-ii-passive-preamp-xlr

Good luck, and please let us know what you choose.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 14
Thank you, that looks like exactly what I'm missing.

Windows 10 > USB > PS Audio DLIII > XLR cables > Nobsound preamp > XLR cables > Temblor T10 > XLR cables > Eris-E44

...and then...

Line 6 POD > XLR cables > XLR3M to Dual XLR3F > Temblor T10

...and that should be it.

Mar 12, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #13 of 14
Mar 12, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #14 of 14
Yeah I'll chime in within a couple days and let you know @Left Channel . I think the dual XLR slitter should be the only thing I need to include my guitar effects pedal in the chain. I can just turn this on and off when I need it... I think. My headphone amp is just RCA and has a separate out on my DAC.

@jcn3 I went with the considerably cheaper Nobsound preamp, hopefully it won't affect the audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back