$100, Standalone CD player and a headphone jack
Sep 3, 2004 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
UPDATE 1(Sept 07, 2004): Just wanted to add. No CD changers. I'd rather spend the extra cash on better sound qulity and/or save the money.

OK, I hope the subject sums this up.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a deidcated CD player for work. Just for work. Budget is capped at $100 (it's for work).

I want the best CD player I can get that already has a headphone jack built in. My headphones are in the sig. Sound quality is the most important driving force here.

A second option would be a cheap headphone amp and cheaper CD player.

Please give me your thoughts. I hope to get the parts ordered today.

Karl

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 17
Grab a Toshiba 3960 at best buy for 60 bucks, and a cmoy here at head fi for 50 - or a go-vibe, i think i saw it for 55-60 on the sale forum yesterday? that's the best 1-2 punch for the budget conscious - take it from me, that's what I'm using right now while I'm waiting for my Solo to come home. Sounds great!

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Grab a Toshiba 3960 at best buy for 60 bucks, and a cmoy here at head fi for 50 - or a go-vibe, i think i saw it for 55-60 on the sale forum yesterday? that's the best 1-2 punch for the budget conscious - take it from me, that's what I'm using right now while I'm waiting for my Solo to come home. Sounds great!

cmoy? I'm guessing that's an amp. I'll start researching it now.

THANK YOU!

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Toshiba 3960
DVD/CD/MP3 player.

The MP3 portion I like. The DVD section would be kinda pointless though. $60 on a better unit without DVD would be ideal....unless.....can you burn DVDs with MP3's on them with this unit? That would be NICE!

Sep 3, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 17
I would say get a dvd player at that range. I have a cheap TEAC CD player which I bought almost a year ago, which you can have for not very much if you like. Sounds decent for the price, but is terrible at reading scratched discs.

Sep 3, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 17
the 3960 also plays DVD-Audio, which is always nice, but not SACD.

By the way, this might not apply, but while you are at best buy getting this player you might want to see if you want anything else that you can use this coupon for:

http://www.postpublisher.net/h/bestb...eekendSale.pdf

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Are you positive about that? I just checked Toshiba's website and it doesn't say anything about DVD-Audio, only DVD-Video, MP3, WMA, and Redbook.

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent69
Are you positive about that? I just checked Toshiba's website and it doesn't say anything about DVD-Audio, only DVD-Video, MP3, WMA, and Redbook.

RUT RO
I think I might have made a booboo. In that case, a DVD-A of the Four Seasons and Led Zepp's "How the West was Won" might be in the sale forums REALLY quick...

edit - oh yeah, i cancelled my dvd-a order before it shipped whew. you saved me some bucks, thanks!

but for redbook play and dvd video playback, this 3960 rules.

Sep 7, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 17
I was just thinking. I'd be willing to get a "better" used DVD/CD player if there is one that is a good value. Like a $150 CD/DVD player that is commonly found on EBay for $100 or at the hi-fi forums.

Today, I am litterally driving by Best Buy, so I might swing and in and get something new if the price is right. I'm revisiting the posts thus far.

Are any manufacturers known to have superior headphone outpus on their source componets?

No real rush on getting a component, but my CD player(in my PC) at work is really starting to irk me. Get those lovely snap, crackle and pops.

Thanks,
Karl

Sep 7, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

By the way, this might not apply, but while you are at best buy getting this player you might want to see if you want anything else that you can use this coupon for:

http://www.postpublisher.net/h/bestb...eekendSale.pdf

Man! I wish I'd seen that yesterday. I need to pick up one of those big backpacks for laptops/books and they're over a hundred bucks at bb

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
philips cd100 or cd850/880..

I can't find these anywhere. Are these available online? Anyone know of pricing? I can't even find them at the philips web page?

From what I am finding, this appears to be an older model that I could buy used for under $100, which is fine.

Any help is appreciated
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

It doesn't play DVD-A discs but it WILL play DVD-V discs with 24/96 PCM audio tracks (I made a test DVD the other day using Mediachance DVD-lab 1.3 (AFAIK the only "consumer" DVD-V mastering tool that supports 24/96 PCM audio tracks) and some 24/96 samples I got off Hydrogen Audio a while back and it played back fine, except the Toshiba didn't like my DVD+RW and paused momentarilly every second or so). So what this means is that if someone ever figures out how to decode DVD-A's we can play with with our Toshiba.

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #14 of 17
Actually, I am starting to lean toward the Tosh 3950/60.

I read about how to mod it a bit on these forums. I might get this player and everntually do a mod to the outputs. not sure if hte mod effects the headphone out, but if it does, this is perfect for now and better later.

Sep 8, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #15 of 17
I noticed this:
Toshiba 3950 power supply mods (with pics)

I'd be willing to toy with a mod. Especially on a low cost player
wink.gif
Jsut another hobby .....

My question really is simple. Is this mod for the RCA outputs only or does it also effect the headphone jack?

If it doesn't effect the headphones outputs, is there a popular player/mod that can be done at low cost which would improve that player's headphone output? Of course, I could always do the Toshiba 3950 mod and make a DIY amplifier.

A newbie converting to a middle tier guy
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back