~$100 shootout: DT531 vs. A500 vs. V6
Jun 14, 2005 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tradja

100+ Head-Fier
After discovering HeadFi, I read hundreds of posts, and surprisingly enough, bought some cans. I carefully compared my first three cans: Sony V6, ATH-A500, and DT531. Perhaps my experiences will provide other noobs with some perspective on these popular “starter” cans. Of course, my subjective findings are presented FWIW, FYI, IMHO, on my system, with this music, to my ears, etc!

This test was conducted last fall. I have since upgraded my system a bit, but upon further listening my conclusions stand. I didn't post my observations sooner becuase 1) I am lazy, 2) It was a lot of typing, and 3) I wanted to listen to the cans further before posting.

Cans:
Sony V6: My first “good” cans. At the time of testing, stock pleather pads. Obtained from thrift store in very good condition, but with unknown history. My V6’s seem to be very different than the conventional wisdom surrounding these cans, which limits generalizing my observations to all V6’s. See conclusions below.

Audio-Technica ATH-A500: Obtained new from ebay. Burned in for 50 hours.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Obtained new from Germany. (Thanks superman’s ears!). Burned in 50 hours.

Source:
Panasonic PD-F506 25-disc CD changer

Amp:
eyevancsu-built cmoy, since replaced by the pimeta in my sig. None of these cans are especially amp-dependent, though the DT531 does improve with amp. I re-listened to all three cans with the pimeta and confirmed my observations.

Music:
SunByrne’s Audio Test Mix v3, Excerpts from SunByrne’s “liner” notes (Copyright ©2003-2004 Mike Byrne) in quotes, and used with permission. Thanks SunByrne!
10,000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged
Morphine Cure for Pain
Velvet Revolver Contra Band
Run Lola Run OST

Construction:
V6: Closed headphone. Heavy single-sided coiled cord. The only single-sided cord in this test. I discovered that I really like a single-sided cord. Durable metal headband and metal driver enclosures. Substantial screw-on 1/4” adapter. As noted elsewhere, V6’s fold down to a grapefruit-sized ball. Strikes a nice balance between portability and full-sized cans. In fact, they are my go-to portable cans.

A500: Closed headphone. The most aesthetically pleasing right out of the box. Large and light. Nice, flexible nylon-woven single-sided cord terminating in a surprisingly generic plastic 1/8” plug, with an ordinary 1/4” adapter. I wouldn’t put bang these around in my backpack, but they’re not designed for that in the first place.

DT531: Open headphone. A little disappointing right out of the box. Solid and substantial feeling, though. Metal grilles. Extremely tough plastic-coated (metal?) headband. The spindly cord and plug have always struck me as stolen from a stock can assembly line, unexpected for ‘phones in this price range. I looked into a recable, but it is a pricey undertaking and beyond my current DIY skills.

Comfort:
V6: . Somewhat thin pleather earpads, almost circumaural [note: I recently switched to the beyer pads and now they are circumaural]. Wide padded headband and light clamping pressure. Lowest profile of all three cans. I find these very comfortable.

A500
: Huge, soft pleather earpads. These feel very light on the head. As others have noted, the clamping pressure is so light these can be shaken or nodded off your head. Some folks seem to like the odd-looking “head stilts” headband, others hate it. I find it fine. These big closed earcups get sweaty and hot over time.

DT531: Big Beyer velour pads. I found I had to repeatedly and aggressively stretch the headband to reduce the substantial clamping pressure, but it slowly shrinks back to tight. Still, these are the comfiest cans in this test. If the A500’s had velour pads, they would probably be the most comfy.

Enough BS, on to the…

Sound!:

Quoted material is form SunByrne’s “listening guide”

Audio Test Mix (rev 3)

Quote:

1. Art of Noise, "Il Pleure"
from The Seduction of Claude Debussy, 1999

This is a slightly weird track, in that it mixes spoken word, acoustic piano, drum machines, opera, and of course AON synth. Looking for clear differentiation of instruments, but mostly for how the the female opera vocals are handled. Unnatural mids make this sound poor.

Sony V6: lacking some midbass definition, opera vocals are present, rich and real. Cymbals are smooth, but rolled off. Compressed soundstage. Immediate and punchy.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: warm piano notes, large soundstage, smoother than V6. Vocals seem distant in the mix. Excellent separation. Extended highs, but almost shrill and tinny. Excellent L/R imaging. Symphonic and beautiful presentation.

Beyerdynamic DT531: great midbass – smooth, tight, “rubbery”. Also very clear cymbals, but warmer than A500, vocals rich & present. Good soundstage, slightly smaller than A500. Balanced and coherent.

Quote:

2. Nine Inch Nails, "Into the Void" from The Fragile (disc 2), 1999

I actually stopped in an audio shop one day on a whim, and didn't have the older version of my test mix with me, and the sales guy demo'd with this track. The important part is the intro, which starts with a high-end, well, I'm not sure what it is--almost a squeak, then something xylophone-sounding, then adds cello, then acoustic guitar, then some light percussion, then the full force kicks in. [at 1:02] I'm listening for the clarity of the instruments in the early stuff, which is quiet, and the force when more stuff kicks in.

Sony V6: warmer high end, less clarity. Excellent instrument separation, kick drum has punch, lots of punch at 1:02 kick-in.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: instruments sound more realistic, slightly blurred instrument spearation, full-force kick-in at 1:02, less dramamtic than V6, better clarity

Beyerdynamic DT531: good highs, good separation, kick drum has lots of punch, kick-in at 1:02 less dramatic

Quote:

3. Tears for Fears, "Start of the Breakdown" from The Hurting, 1983

There's a lot of left-right panning in this track, so anything that impacts channel separation shows up immediately here.

Sony V6: immediate, warm. Good separation.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Recessed vocals, plasticky, artificial sound. Excellent channel separation.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Lots of clean black space between notes, good separation.

Quote:

4. Michael Hedges, "Breakfast in the Field" from Live on the Double Planet, 1987

This is acoustic guitar originally recorded live on digital equipment. Different guitar strings should be distinct, and some ambient sounds (e.g., foot taps) are evident on better equipment.

Sony V6: a bit honky in mids, least “present”, smaller soundstage and imaging, foot taps at 1:59 present

Audio Technica ATH-A500: clear, very transparent, like sitting on stage, foot taps at 1:59 very clear.

Beyerdynamic DT531: not as clear or immediate as A500, but close. Warmer and richer than A500. Foot taps at 1:59 more realistic.

Quote:

5. George Winston, "Spring Creek" from Summer, 1991

This is an acoustic piano piece which runs through a pretty thorough range of the 88 keys. Keys should sound distinct and be identifiable in chords when not struck perfectly in synch, which of course real human players do. Bass keys should sound natural, high keys shouldn't sound harsh, mids should not get lost.

Sony V6: High keys pleasant and bell-like, low keys sound a little like a techno track, like sitting at a piano

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Sweet, pure tones. Bass notes balanced and well-integrated into piece. Like listening to a piano performance.

Beyerdynamic DT531: much more realistic duration of notes, bass keys warm and natural. Definitely sounds like a recording of a piano.

Quote:

6. Vivaldi, Summer (presto) from The Four Seasons

I have a decent recording of this. Classical makes different demands than the rock/techno/acoustic on the rest of this list, and this is a good piece, heavy on different strings. Viola should be distinct from both violin and cello, the cello bits should be moving without being overwhelming. Setups that are too bass-heavy (equalized for rock/techno) don't sound right here

Sony V6: cello a bit anemic and unconvincing. Compelling & dynamic overall. Instruments a bit less distinct. Very present.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Instruments all quite distinct. Subleties like harpsichord beautifully rendered, cello is earthy and sincere.

Beyerdynamic DT531:
Wow! Brings it to life. Much more urgency and emotion. Sweeping and majestic. Very clear violins. Instruments all distinct.

Quote:

7. Underworld, "Little Speaker" from A Hundred Days Off, 2002

Very bass-heavy elctronica. Weak bass really shows here, should get that dance-club "thump" here.

Sony V6: Thump +. A lot of bass, slightly looser than A500. Organ mids muddy.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Thump ++. Good detail in low end.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Yup, thump. Chewy, tight bass.

Quote:

8. The Power Station, "Some Like It Hot" from The Power Station, 1985

Listening almost entirely to Tony Thompson's slamming drum intro to this song. If it doesn't slam, the bass needs work.

Sony V6: Slam ++. Kick drum trumps A500.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Slam +. Nice & tight, though.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Slam ++. It slams!

Quote:

9. Thomas Newman, "Root Beer" from American Beauty Score, 2000

If you've seen the movie, the is from the bit where Kevin Spacey has one of his waking dreams about Mena Suvari, this one while he's getting her a root beer from the fridge. Lots of cymbal transients, and well as some really low bass rumbling.

Sony V6: Not so airy, but present & pleasant, good low bass.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Very clear cymbals, great low bass extention. Excellent clarity. Very bright.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Beautiful cymbals, Bright, airy and clear but not harsh.

Quote:

10. Propaganda, "Strength to Dream" from A Secret Wish, 1985

This is a fully-digital recording which has a thunderstorm in it. If you're in a an audio shop and turn this way up, people should start looking out the windows for rain. Seriously.

Sony V6: A bit murky. Storm is fine, but somewhat unconvincing.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Better detail. Storm is VERY convincing.

Beyerdynamic DT531: With the others, I was just waiting for the storm to begin. With the DT531’s, I found myself enjoying the silky strings. Storm is also very convincing.

Quote:

11. Shadowfax, "Oasis" from The Odd Get Even, 1990

This is also a fully-digital recording with a mix of strange instruments and traditional rock instruments. I find Paiste cymbals to have slightly different sound (don't ask me to describe it) from other cymbals (not better, just different), and that should be evident as they are mixed very prominently here. The high synth-whistle (or whatever it is) should also not be shrill.

Note: This is a very complex mix with lots of layers.

Sony V6: Good separation. Sitar-thing sounds fine, but unremarkable. Cymbals not harsh at all, veiled compared to other two cans.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Clear, huge soundstage. Nice balance. Sitar-thing is nice. Cymbals sound thin and silvery.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Good detail & separation, cymbals clean, clear, and smooth. Sitar-thing nicely rendered.

Quote:

12. Tori Amos, "Precious Things" from Little Earthquakes, 1991

I find Tori's voice is sometimes difficult to reproduce well, and this is a good test for it. Good mix of acoustic piano, drum, and electric guitar. When the guitar kicks in on the line "I want to smash the faces", should be very involving.

Note: "I want to smash the faces” line kicks in at 1:51.

Sony V6: More immediate & engaging. Vocals more up front in mix, clearer, richer, warmer, stronger, more natural. 1:51 moderately involving.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Vocals distant, lost in mix, not as natural sounding. 1:51 not too involving.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Best vocals, rich & human. 1:51 fairly involving.

Quote:

13. The Police, "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" from Ghost in the Machine, 1981

You wouldn't think a Police track would ask much of your setup, but this one does because of Stewart Copeland does some really great cymbal work here which isn't mixed super prominently (not like the Shadowfax track). If the setup has much mid- or bass-push, they tend to get lost, which is bad. I have yet to hear this sound right through MP3 compression, either. (In general, that's where MP3-style compression bothers me the most--cymbals never sound natural.)

Sony V6: Nicely balanced. Surprisingly bouncy & engaging. Immediate. Cymbals very distinct.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Great separation & soundstage. Shimmering delicate cymbals, most prominent.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Grooving out. Sorry, what was I listening for?

Quote:

14. The Fixx, "In Suspense" from Phantoms, 1985

This track has a nice intro with bell-based cymbal work and high synth, then really great bass/lead guitar interaction. Jamie West-Oram has a very unique guitar style, which really comes through on this track if it sounds right. This track is mixed very balanced, so too much emphasis on any particular instrument or the vocals reveals if anything is falling off or pushing.

Sony V6: Balanced and fun. Lots of vocals.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Clear and cinematic in it’s detail. Vocals very clear. Sounds overproduced.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Holy kick drum! Chewy bass and funky presentation.

Quote:

15. New Order, "Elegia" from Low-Life, 1985

Very quiet all-synth intro should be delivered clearly, and the guitar that comes in should have nice twang. Low synth rumble should be evident when it's going.

Sony V6: Clarity: good. Twang: realistic. Rumble: good. Dynamic swell of track very well presented. Almost as engaging as DT531.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Clarity: excellent. Twang: yes. Rumble: like a movie. Good detail!

Beyerdynamic DT531: Clarity: very good. Twang: chewy. Rumble: smooth and strong. Engaging!

Quote:

16. Pink Floyd, "The Happiest Days of Our Lives"
from The Wall, 1977

This is in here just for fun. The first time I heard this track after I had put in new speakers and an amp in my car, I had The Wall in and had really stopped paying attention to it, then suddenly I found myself looking for a helicopter. Took me a second to realize it wasn't really a helicopter, it was my stereo. Always trying to reproduce that.

Note: I live and work at a ski resort. Between ski tower construction, scenic overflights, and especially medevac flights, I am very familiar with the sound of helicopters breaking the mountain stillness. So, it takes a very realistic heli to convince me!

Sony V6: heli realism: ok.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: heli realism: VERY realistic

Beyerdynamic DT531: heli realism: good, but a little canned.

10,000 Maniacs MTV Unplugged
Female vocals and acoustic instruments. This is perhaps not Natalie Merchant’s/10K Maniacs best recording, but I like the live, open feel of the recording and the richness and maturity of Natalie’s voice. Many of their studio recordings sound a little stiff and sterile to me, like you are listening to the 47th vocal take done in a soundproofed dead room, which is likely.

Sony V6: Clear, warm, sparkling vocals. Very up front.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Huge, spacious, realistic soundstage. Odd vocal presentation, like someone else’s voice. A bit honky. Very natural instruments, more lively.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Rich and warm vocals, good instruments. Sounds like she’s singing through a PA (which I believe she is)

Winner: A500, except for vocals. V6 vocal winner.

Morphine Cure for Pain
This great trio features baritone sax, bass, drums: moody, jazzy and dark, low male vocals.

Sony V6: natural vocals, brooding bass, chunky, upfront

Audio Technica ATH-A500: too bright on vocals and bass for this music. Vocals sound unnatural.

Beyerdynamic DT531: low vocals a bit boomy and echoey, but good presentation of dark music

Winner: V6

Velvet Revolver Contra Band
Essentially GnR minus that whiny Axl Grease guy. The question here : Does it rock?

Sony V6: Good slam. More immediate. Very good.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Brightness adds edge to guitar. Exciting. Still, a bit detached. Is this what is referred to as “polite”?

Beyerdynamic DT531: Oh yeah. Slam, quick, clean. Exciting guitar. Music literally sounds like a faster tempo.

Winner: DT531

Run Lola Run OST
Great, if somewhat repetitive soundtrack to a great, if somewhat repetitive movie. Lotsa clubby bass.
basshead.gif

Sony V6: Good bass. Punchy. Balanced highs.

Audio Technica ATH-A500: Unexpectedly, punch and impact! Excellent bass. Again, almost shrill highs.

Beyerdynamic DT531: Clear highs, good smooth punchy bass.

Winner: A500.

CONCLUSIONS

V6: As noted above, my V6’s seem very different from their prevailing reputation. Indeed, I have listened to two different soundguys’ 7506’s and found them much drier, colder, and more neutral, with much sharper highs. Although they are known here for piercing shrill highs, my V6’s have the most rolled-off, smoothest high end of the three cans compared here. Although I do use them for monitoring and mixing live recordings, I don’t find them especially analytical, or “unmusical”. To the contrary, I find them immediate, warm, and upfront; almost Grado-esque, but with bass.

I am surprised that these modest thrift-store cans could hold their own against two higher-priced and more highly-regarded ‘phones. But if, like most V6’s, they were cold, neutral, analytical and shrill, I would hate ‘em.

A500: I really liked these headphones. They look, feel, and (with one exception), sound like what I expect “expensive” headphones to be. They deliver the deepest and most bass of all three, while maintaining a tremendous clarity and almost too much high end. They offer a huge and detailed soundstage for closed cans, and what I can only describe as a beautiful and cinematic presentation. For movies, they are just awesome. However, I promised myself, my wallet, and my wife that I would sell either the A500 or the DT531. The recessed and unnatural midrange, especially evident with vocals, ultimately sent these otherwise excellent cans to a new, good home via the FS forum.

My ideal can might be an A900 with good mids (& velour pads
580smile.gif
). If anyone knows of such a can please let me know!

DT531: The balance, coherence and versatility of these cans won me over. If I listened primarily to a specific genre (rock, classical, jazz) I suspect that there would be better choices. The (in)famous head-nodding and appealing punchiness of the DT531 does not make these gimmick- or one-trick-pony-cans. The rich, realistic midrange, smooth extended highs, good detail and articulate separation round out a great set of all-purpose cans that can thrive with a wide range of genres and recording qualities. Heck, even MP3’s sound pretty good.*

I was just a wide-eyed noob when I got these, during the height of the FOTM craze surrounding them. Now I am a noob with a budget rig that I really dig! I can only conclude that sometimes there is actually some substance behind the FOTM hype.

Sorry so long. Please forgive my noob enthusiasm!

[size=xx-small]* I seldom listen to MP3’s.[/size]

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 18
Wow! That's a terrific and very thorough review. I'm not in the market for anything right now in terms of cans, but if I were in the market for something closed, baed on your characterization of the A500s, I'd certainly give the A900s a try!

Jun 14, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 18
Since I have my DT531 with my Porta Corda Mk2, I have never longed for an upgrade nor have I been unsatisfied with the sound in any way. Imho, this is the best sound one can get for the money. I'm grooving out every day
580smile.gif

(But I may need a new amp should my E4cs need the PCMk2 on the go
wink.gif
)

-Taurui

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Wow what a write up ! About time for 531 rebirth + ebay hunt.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I could use a spare pair...
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 18
That's an awesome collection of music to put these headphones through, you've got some of everything there
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
That's an awesome collection of music to put these headphones through, you've got some of everything there
wink.gif

Yeah, very nice to see my mix being put to good use. Good additions, too.

cool.gif

Jun 14, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks for the reveiw!

I know I'm out of the chorus but really I can't say dt531 have a natural richness in the mid region , and so smooth highs ..
nor they shine for separation ..
really..

they've one of the most recessed mid region in the headphones I've tried up to now ..

what amp have you paired them with ( suspecting you paired them not only with the pimeta )?

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 18
Thanks for the postive words, folks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohnny
I'd love to see how the Grado SR80's do compared to these three. Nice review tradja.

Thanks! The one time I auditioned SR80's, it was at a shop under less-than-ideal conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by superjohnny
I know I'm out of the chorus but really I can't say dt531 have a natural richness in the mid region , and so smooth highs ..
really..

they've one of the most recessed mid region in the headphones I've tried up to now ..

what amp have you paired them with ( suspecting you paired them not only with the pimeta )?

Remember, a shootout is inherently relative. Relative to the mid-suckout on the A500's, the DT531 was richer. NOTE: I have never heard AKG mids! Also, the separation was usually less than the A500's (and the V6 is not known at all for separation or soundstage).

For the bulk of this review, they were paired with a cmoy (with OPA2132 opamp), but soon after I wrote this review I got two PIMETAs with OPA627's and OPA637's, both of which are richer-sounding.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
really..

You're not the only one who thinks the mids aren't very rich. I do too, although 'recessed' isn't the word I would use. They're certainly not as dry as the DT880s. And I still prefer their mids to a number of other headphones, despite this characteristic.

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:29 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
You're not the only one who thinks the mids aren't very rich. I do too, although 'recessed' isn't the word I would use. They're certainly not as dry as the DT880s. And I still prefer their mids to a number of other headphones, despite this characteristic.

if not recessed , they just aren't there with the groovy feeling that's overall 'hiding' them ; result is the easy listening and the very nice music that flows on - anyhow if you get in some nice breathy voice you know well , to name mine Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong , You 'll notice how this can is far from the higher end cans (even dt990 properly amped trounces dt531 in quite every aspect )

and for separation , sorry but still this can have not really a great separation , pop in some complex orchestra work and you'll know what I mean ( many instrument *don't* get separated simply )

other then this an incredibly easy to listen (amped or not) musical groovy headphone that suits many kind of music ( bar classical maybe ) that everyone might very well keep on his 'top of nice budget cans' list .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back