$100 seeks used CD player with headphone jack
Sep 15, 2004 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kfh227

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I might get this:
Denon DCD-1500

That's a rather old model though (late 80s). It can be found for well under $100 though and is supposed to be VERY good for the price..

Here's the criteria for what I seek:
1) $100 cap
2) headphone jack (sound quality here is what is needed, not at RCAs)
3) Not older than 1994 (prefer post 1999 model)

Sorry for all the posts lately. In the least, let it be known that your advice will result in a purchase eventually
wink.gif

Thanks again,
karl

Sep 15, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Why not Toshiba 3960 + CMOY? That'd give you much better quality than any player with a built-in headphone jack, and you could get both items new for under your maximum price.

Sep 16, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
Why not Toshiba 3960 + CMOY? That'd give you much better quality than any player with a built-in headphone jack, and you could get both items new for under your maximum price.

I was toying with the idea of the Toshiba 3960 with the mod for it and an amp down the road. No headphone jack on it means that I can't upgrade later.

I looked over the CMoy and i'm not convinced that it is the way to go. Read the web page, etc... If I did go the DIY route, I'd have to spend money on tools that I don't have right now and I would do a more "advanced" DIY amp than the basic CMOY. Time is also a factor. of course, I could just buy one, I know.

Maybe I'll re-investigate the matter. You are probably dead on about the route you recomend, but for the time being, I want to track down some possiblities.

Luckily the forums have been around a while so I dug back to 2001. The following two CD players used to go for about $400 unless I missed something. Both are available today used for under $100.

Denon DCM-370
Marantz CD6000 OSE ($175 or $400 new, not sure)

I was wondering if anyone thinks I should consider these used. I found people saying hte headphone out on the Marantz was a bit better in terms of sound qulity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
Many of the Yamaha CDP's had both a jack and a volume control. You may want to consider them if you find their sound acceptable.

As for Yamahaa, I'll give them a look.

Karl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back