~$100 Open Headphone Advice
Oct 28, 2018 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Mocs123

New Head-Fier
First post

I have been out of the Audiophile game for quite a while. When I had plenty of discretionary income before I had kids, I had an Anthem/Dynaudio setup for HT and Music, but now with work and kids (and all their sports/activities) as well as having more financial responsibilities I am just looking for an inexpensive set of headphones to replace my stock iphone earbuds that have disappeared.

Budget: Prefer under $100, but could go up to $200 if it was a huge improvement.

My hearing isn't what it used to be. I have a "bad" ear due to a basketball injury (and busted/infected ear) - it just never has quite been the same.

My source would be my laptop or iphone - so I gather I would be looking at something around 32 Ohms

I would use these for Youtube videos, podcasts, and itunes mostly - so not the best sources

With those three things I don't see the point in spending huge money on headphones.

I prefer (I think) open headphones so if there are others in the room, I'm not totally isolated. When I do get a moment to myself, they should provide a nice sound stage too.

I listen to a little bit of everything, but I really like acoustic rock (I seek out unplugged performances) and I have a soft spot for 90's alternative (from when I was growing up).

The only set of "good" headphones I have ever had is the Audio Technica AD700X (the old gold/purple version) and am looking for something a bit less bulky this time around.

I have looked at the Chi-Fi SIVGA SV007 - as they are beautiful and appeal to me on an aesthetic note, but on the other hand, they are Chi-Fi and not exactly a well known brand (though they do have a few good reviews).

I have also looked at the Grado SR60e but they seem to get very mixed reviews (apparently from Grado having a very "signature" sound)

I looked at the Sennheiser HD559's which may be the best choice, but look cheap and plasticy to me. If they have the best sound, that wouldn't be the end of the world to me.

What are your thoughs of the models above? What other models and brands should I be looking for? I'm also not opposed to buying used if I can get a great deal and know what I am getting.

Thank you for your help

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 2
I have the HD558, which I'm assuming uses the same headband setup as the HD559 and to me it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back