<$100 non-portable amp for dt770 pro80
Jun 10, 2009 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

sell224

New Head-Fier
First of all thanks for all the help received on this forum so far.. great place.

I am looking for a desktop amp for my new dt770 pro80s (no need for portability really). I upped my price range to 100-150. I would consider myself an above average listener, I definitely appreciate high sound quality, but I don't need an overkill amp because I probably won't be able to appreciate much of the difference yet.

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 13
sell224, not sure what you could get that's decent for your budget, unless you could find something used in the FS forums. You might be able to find something in the $150ish zone, though I'd still recommend you buy used, perhaps a DIY build, so you could maximize your budget.

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 13
never realized how much money I would have to throw down on audio gear..
triportsad.gif
I am surprised headphone amps are that expensive.

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 13
So, your HPs are 80 ohm? Well, in this price range you are asking it is either going for second hand, or getting a hybrid amp.

If you don't mind using Pro equipment (as your HPs state -the Pro version-) you might want to go with this amp.

Amazon.com: Four Channel Headphone Amp: Electronics

It is one of the cheap SS amps you can find nowadays.

Jun 11, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 13
I guess after a bit more research and looking at your guys' suggestions I have upped my price range to 100-150.. I'm surprised that I might be spending as much on the amp as I have to on the headphones, but if its worth it then I guess its worth it.

How bout a great price to performance buy in this price range? Also I'm not so sure about any DIY models (as I have absolutely no experience in headphone amps).

Do good headphone amps really make that much of a difference? I am curious to see if I can actually really hear the difference between just plugging them directly into something and throwing down 150 bucks on an amp.

I'm also really trying to figure out for sure why my mobile pre gives such horrible distortion when I turn it up all the way.. I really hope its not the headphones themself. Why would I get such bad distortion on a pair of headphones?

P.S. I really can't find any straight up beginners guides to headphone amps. Where would I plug a headphone amp into? Do I need a receiver? Ideally i just want to plug it into a USB on my desktop. I have the m-audio mobile pre, but the headphone jack is my problem in the first place. Agh this is so confusing.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 13
Ok I am going to try to be very specific and direct.

After much more research I have found that the Little-dot MkII could fit my needs well. Love the look of it, and I've read lots of good things (the only two qualifiers I really have to look at right now heh).

1. HOW would I plug this into my computer? My motherboard does have an optical and SPDIF input, would I plug it into one of those? Or could I get a USB converter? I want to plug this DIRECTLY into my computer, not into a receiver.

2. Good choice? I am literally so noob in this headphone amp field that I am completely overwhelmed, and have no idea what to choose other than what other people say and what I like the looks of. The only thing I know is that all I need is ONE headphone input, and some way to hook it up directly to my mobo.

Please if someone could just answer those two questions I will happily purchase my first headphone amp.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 13
the 80 ohm pro isnt so bad. You could probably drive it ok with an essence STX (about 199$) which also gets you a DAC and a nice sounding soundcard.
Alternatively you could get an X-fi if you also play games (though it doesnt sound as smooth as the STX).
Personally I dont like the STX, but itll get the job done

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 80 ohm pro isnt so bad. You could probably drive it ok with an essence STX (about 199$) which also gets you a DAC and a nice sounding soundcard.
Alternatively you could get an X-fi if you also play games (though it doesnt sound as smooth as the STX).
Personally I dont like the STX, but itll get the job done

any thought on the post right previous to yours?

Jun 12, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 13
The Little Dot mark II is a headphone amp, you would plug it in from the line-out of your sound card. Get a 1/8 to RCA cable, available at most electronics stores.

Note that garbage in, garbage out. You did not mention your existing soundcard. If you have a crappy one, you may be better off getting a DAC/amp combo, spending at least $50 more.

External DACs or DAC/amp combos input through USB/SPDIF/coaxial.

Another choice, depending on your choice of future headphones (high impedance go mark II or low impedance I+) would be the Little Dot I+, it is also ~40 cheaper. Using your DT770 right now, the I+ has 300mW at 120 ohms VS the 200mW of the mark II.

Do not confuse the I+ with the mark I+. The I+ i'm referring to is contained in the link below:

http://www.little-tube.com/forum/for...&posts=1#M1431

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 13
Stick around a bit and then start looking at the used gear on the forums, you can find some GREAT deals. I literally got my first desktop setup days ago and I paid a VERY reasonable price for it. The components may be a little dated, but even then, you will notice an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back