100 Minute CDs - any experience with overburning?
Apr 23, 2004 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ross

500+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any experience overburning CDs up to 100 minutes using 870MB blanks? Are there any compatibility issues with CD players? Any degradation in sound quality compared to 700MB blanks? Is it necessary to burn at lower speeds - 4x or less? Any other tips?

Apr 23, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #2 of 3
I've quite happily used 99 minute CDs with no problems...

I personally (when using 99 min CDRs) burn at no more than 16x... although Nero does say that I can burn faster... and they come out fine so long as you don't try to overburn those too... I managed to squeeze 103 minutes out of one, but the last minute or so were trashed, so if its for a lasting recording, probably not worth the hassle...

As to if they work... yes, in 99.9% of CDPs I should think... There was an article I read once saying that CD as a media (or the laser diode accuracy in your player, whichever way you want to look at it) is capable of running up to 100 minutes plus with no problem but that the people who organise the formats (i.e. redbook, orangebook etc) played it 'safe' with a much lower minute rating on their discs as, as you'd expect, being finer tracks, you'd potentially expect more error correction to be going on.

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 3
I believe not all recorders nor software can record them. There are compatibility issues with players because it's non standard as the pits are more crunched together. This makes them harder to read and increases jitter (which means less quality).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back