$100 laptop solution: seeking advice on specific options
Oct 31, 2006 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

facelvega

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all,

It's time for me to face the fact that my TBAAM doesn't hold a candle to my CDP, and it isn't a problem with the files themselves, which are fine. I'm trying to find a way to bring my laptop up to snuff-- not to achieve the pinnacle of great sound, but to take as big a jump towards it as 100 euros can get me. I've been reading up in the forum for a couple of days, and now I'd like some input on the options I'm considering.

I'm on two laptops, one with mere USB 1.1 out, the other with 2.0 and s/pdif through a 7-pin s-video out (though I'd have to grab a 15 euro adapter for that option). I've always been annoyed with the general badness of USB, but it seems like it may make sense to keep using it. By the way, I'm looking for a 2-3 year solution to be paired primarily with the better of these laptops during its service life. I buy in Germany and in the U.S., as is convenient.

Here's what I'm thinking, in price order:

1. Entech number cruncher, either version. They're cheap if you look around, and supposedly have passable if blandish sound. It sounds like these are meant to be an improved dac-in-the-box.

2. Silverstone EB-01. Cheap, portable, decently reviewed. I worry about the weak output, though, as I'm using a lot of hard-to-drive headphones, and my amps can only do so much with a weak signal.

3. Trends UD-10 USB Converter. Nobody has one yet, and it looks like it's mainly meant as a transport, but the specs aren't bad. Take one for the team?

4. Fubar II. Small, charming, but what does it do that the cheaper and evidently similar Trends doesn't?

I might theoretically stretch my budget to get one of these options too, in both cases from an exporter like DIYkits or buyoyo.com:

5. Zhaolu 2.5 with the AD1852. Can't stretch the budget to the better chip. I'm also concerned about the size here, as I will have to transport it in my luggage a couple of times a year.

6. Lite DAC-AH. largish, though still only half the size of the Zhaolu, and requires external power.

I fully realize that options 5 and 6 are a jump up from the others, but it may be a jump I don't need, and for me transportability and flexible power source are real issues. I lean toward the Silverstone except for the reported weak output. If I heard one good report on the Trends, though, I'd probably dive on it instead.

Thanks all,
FV

Oct 31, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 4
The DAC-AH is *about*5 inches wide, 2 inches tall, and 8 inches deep. I wouldn't get it if you're looking for portability as it requires AC power. I hope this reply helped!

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks! I'll edit in details as they come, to help anyone else who might also be making a decision between some of these models.

edit, let this thread die, I've rethought the options.

Nov 10, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 4
The trend ud-10 is not a DAC, it is only a transport. You would still need to conect the output to a DAC like the zhaolu or number cruncher for example.

Fubar is a usb DAC, USB in , Audio out

Lionel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back