100$ iPod 5.5g Upgrade or Buying a new Player Which is the better idea?
Feb 18, 2020 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JackTheRipper

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I just recently dusted off my 30GB iPod 5.5g and for around a 100$CAD I could get it back to better than new...With a 3000mAh Battery, a Tarkan iFlash Solo and a 128gb SD Card, as well as a Front and Back Plate to "Refurbish" it and make everything fit...

Do you all think this would be a good idea or should I just get a new Music Player for a little more instead?

Any Recommendations?

P.S: I like to get the most out of my Money...so I don't mind paying for quality and better Sound Quality/Useful Features, but I don't want to Overpay when it comes to really Small Increments in Quality for Huge Increments in Prices...

Thanks a Bunch,
JackTheRipper.

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 3
I have an 80gb iPod 5.5 that is dead. Are these upgrades sold in kits or do you just source them individually? I’m interested in bringing mine back from the dead and I now have the skills and know how to be comfortable with parts swaps. Do you have a link to these parts? Thanks.
To answer your question....I think you’d be better off getting a new DAP to get the most out of the modern features that are now offered. Streaming etc. I have an Activo CT10 that is about the same size as the iPod 5.5 and is a great little device. Mine was new for $300USD but that was over a year ago. But it’s a solid DAP so long as you aren’t trying to push hard to drive phones out of it. I’ve really been happy with it.

Feb 18, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 3
I have an 80gb iPod 5.5 that is dead. Are these upgrades sold in kits or do you just source them individually? I’m interested in bringing mine back from the dead and I now have the skills and know how to be comfortable with parts swaps. Do you have a link to these parts? Thanks.
To answer your question....I think you’d be better off getting a new DAP to get the most out of the modern features that are now offered. Streaming etc. I have an Activo CT10 that is about the same size as the iPod 5.5 and is a great little device. Mine was new for $300USD but that was over a year ago. But it’s a solid DAP so long as you aren’t trying to push hard to drive phones out of it. I’ve really been happy with it.

Well the best adapter to change your iPod from a Hard Drive Based DAP to a SD Card(s) Based one (there's 3 sub-versions, 1 SD Card, 2 SD Cards or 4 SD Cards)...or there's even a version for CompactFlash Cards or another for mSATA SSD's. Or you could go with another Hard Drive, but the biggest Capacity for one of the right size is 240GB, and they cost a "Fortune", more than 100USD! They are more energy hungry, heavier, bigger, slower...there is literally no advantages really!

Just know that you might not find a 3000mAh Battery since they aren't really supposed to fit, unless you have the Adapter, so, no hard drive taking up all the space...And it's not a "Standard" Replacement Part...
To find a Site that will most likely have what you need, Just Search for the Adapter, Called "Tarkan iFlash" and you should find what you are looking for.
I know the OWC and iFixIt should have all you need, but not the 3000mAh Battery...that's why I say to do a Search...

Also, before you go ahead, just know that 200-256GB is Probably the Upper Limit possible to use when Using iTunes and "iOS". ~20 000 Songs or so is the Max because your 80GB had 64MB of RAM (Mine has 32MB) so it can't handle THAT Big of an iTunes Library...
But if you planned on using Rockbox anyways, well that 3000mAh Battery might be worth Finding (I live in Canada...) and you can also disregard the Capacity or Song Limit.
In fact, there's 1TB iPod (60-80GB Version) 5.5G out there working flawlessly...
On eBay, there's a bunch of iPods that get Upgraded like this and are sold over 200$US for 128GB.

I hope this could be of Use/Help for Someone,
JackTheRipper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back