$100 IEMS: UE SF3/UM1/IM716
Dec 4, 2006 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

airrob

New Head-Fier
Here's the deal, I'm looking for IEMs for around $100. Going to use them with an iPod and listen to hip-hop/rock/pop. Looking for good isolation and fit, sound quality should be good but is secondary.

Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3's (new updated version) are $70 at Amazon. I was thinking about going with these, but how is their isolation?

Is the step up to the IM716/UM1 level at around $110 worth it?

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by airrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the deal, I'm looking for IEMs for around $100. Going to use them with an iPod and listen to hip-hop/rock/pop. Looking for good isolation and fit, sound quality should be good but is secondary.

Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3's (new updated version) are $70 at Amazon. I was thinking about going with these, but how is their isolation?

Is the step up to the IM716/UM1 level at around $110 worth it?

I don't know about the UE's (or the unlisted Shure E2's), but the iM716's just don't do it for me on hip hop, and the UM1's bass doesn't extend as much as I'd like. I'm thinking of upgrading to a UM2, but I definitely don't have the funds.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 9
From what I read, and the reason I'm switching from my ety's to Westone, the UM1's appear to be the most comfortable out of the three. Someone said you could put them in and lay down on your side and not be bothered by them!!

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I read, and the reason I'm switching from my ety's to Westone, the UM1's appear to be the most comfortable out of the three. Someone said you could put them in and lay down on your side and not be bothered by them!!

Very true. I used to sleep with them, and soemtimes I'd lie on my side. I definitely recommend using the short comply tips if you're going to lie on your side, though. After waking up sometimes, my ears hurt a little because of the pressure of shoving the tps into my ear too hard. Still though, that pain would go away after a few minutes with them out. I wouldn't feel any pain in or before my sleep.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 9
The iM716 is great for rock and pop, but not so much for hip-hop in my experience. It's a fast phone with lush frequency reproduction.

The Westone UM1 should be a great all-rounder though it's a bit more laid-back and has a rolled-off high end, which you might just appreciate. It'd probably be better for hip-hop, though.

Dec 4, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 9
I have super.fi 3.The bass response of the new ue super.fi 3 is good and I think you will be pleased with it for hip-hop. They are also good for pop and rock. IMO their negative side is mids. They are also very comfortable because they don't go deep in to your ears, but the bad side of this is that they don't isolate that much like the um1 or Im716.

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iM716 is great for rock and pop, but not so much for hip-hop in my experience. It's a fast phone with lush frequency reproduction.

The Westone UM1 should be a great all-rounder though it's a bit more laid-back and has a rolled-off high end, which you might just appreciate. It'd probably be better for hip-hop, though.

And this is where I find the Vibe to pick up where both left off. It handles bass better than the 716 and isn't nearly as muddy as the UM1. Maybe give the Vibe a look?

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 9
To me, the UE Superfi 3s are comfortable but not as comfortable as the UM1 or UM2. I've had them for a month now and they perform beautifully. However, I'm thinking of upgrading to a dual driver earphone and I have the privilege of trying a UM2 and while I like the comfort level (and the fact that it doesn't stick out from your ears), I much prefer UE's sound signature. The UM2s are somewhat warmer....... and perhaps I was expecting more from a dual driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back