~$100 IEMs for rock/metal?
Oct 30, 2006 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nb_41

New Head-Fier
hey guys ive been lurking here for a bit now and im ready to upgrade my panasonic rphje50s. Im currently looking at the er6i, um1, super.fi 3, e2c, or altec's im716. Which one would be most suitable for rock, metal many forms of each ranging from some softer stuff to hardcore and symphonic metal and so on. As of now it will be coming straight out of a creative zen v, an amp will come after saving up money. plz dont recommend me the higher priced ones because i simply cant afford them or it will take too long saving up my allowance money. thanks guys!

Oct 30, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 10
It really depends on how you like your presentation of rock. A lot of people seem to like warm and bassy, so UM1 is the closer bet. However, the im716 is said to be a class above other options in this price category (it's closer to a ER-4), so that's also a good choice.

Oct 31, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 10
The last time I listened to UM1, it emphasized a bit too much on mids which overshadowed highs and deep lows.Coming from HJE50 you should consider Audio Technica ATH-CK7 because it falls perfectly within your budget. Going from HJE50 to a bassy IEM and chances you will miss the pronounced highs on HJE50. With ATH-CK7 you get them in spades and better quality.

Or, if you really want something with huge PRAT go for Creative EP630

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 10
I've got E2Cs and I love them, about 80% of what I listen to is rock. Shures usually have more exaggerated mids than other IEMs though, but if that's your piece of cake, like it is mine, then you'll like them.

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 10
I feel that the d-JAYS definitely exceed the e2c in terms of sound quality, but if isolation's very important for you, these may not be for you -- I can block very little sound off with these compared to the e2c.

Oct 31, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 10
iM716+DIY polyurethane foamies=perfect for rock. Clear highs along with the warmth that the ER-4's are missing.

Get the iM716's now!

Oct 31, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ypoknons
It really depends on how you like your presentation of rock. A lot of people seem to like warm and bassy, so UM1 is the closer bet. However, the im716 is said to be a class above other options in this price category (it's closer to a ER-4), so that's also a good choice.

I thought people prefered their presentation of rock to be slightly bright, like the Grados are (which are perfect for rock).

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 10
Bright is good, but there also needs to be a proper representation of the bass. That's why I'm now finding my ER-6i's a little lacking for rock. They're not bad by any means, but not near as good as my SR60's. I'm realizing that more and more, and I'm seriously considering getting a pair of UM1's, or possibly the new D-Jays, I'll be able to try the D-Jays in a few weeks cause my sister bought a pair. Anyways, when I use IEM's I'm not looking for critical listening, just isolation and fun, so I think something with better bass is for me. Or maybe I'll just go with K81DJ's. Or both
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 10
hey thanks guys, im now sort of leaning towards the um1, im716 i dont mind doing the pod removal an adding resistors, but i hear that the super.fi 3 seems to be very comfortable and has replaceable cables and a great warranty but if they arent good i wont get them, or abt the creative zen aurvanna or w/e it called once again thanks guys =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back