< $100 Headphones suggestions (public transport friendly :P)
Jun 7, 2008 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

danny16

New Head-Fier
Hey, newbie here. To get to the point, i need a new pair of headphones, and have been looking all over your forums recently. Sooo many different options come into play here.

Ok so i was hoping of any suggestions for a good pair of headphones under $100. I'd prefer headphones to earphones, so please don't suggest in ears or canalphones. I catch public transport regularly, and i'm finding that my old Sony MDR-G57's are in need of a replacement. I'm guessing a closed pair would be more suitable to eliminate enough drone of the bus/train, so that i don't have to pump the volume up too high. I hear that active noise cancellers can create an underlying hiss of white noise. This would just drive me to insanity.

(I obviously don't want something massive. But something big enough to keep out some noise)

I was seriously considering the ES7's (audio technica) and paying the extra $50, but that could of been me giving into shiny things and good reviews lol. Other h/phones came up, but its just getting so confusing as to what would suit me.

I listen to:

-Jazz/Swing
-Hip-Hop (old skool stuff)
-Bit of rock/grunge
-BIt of techno/hardstyle/trance

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
biggrin.gif
(Damn so many of you know too much
tongue.gif
)

btw my MP3 player is a Meizu M6 Miniplayer. Nifty lil thing.

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 19
Jun 7, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 19
I'm about the get the Denon, not sure if it would be good on public transport though; it is fairly large (AFAIK, please tell me it isn't) and doesn't isolate well.

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 19
Though if isolation was a complete necessity, headphones would not be the way to go. Reading around, it seems the Sennheiser HD25-I have the most closed headphone isolation, and other than looking butt ugly they are over your budget.

Jun 7, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 19
I have no idea how they handle jazz, but I've been a big fan of AKG 81DJ's, if I were upgrading they'd be my portable can of choice.

Jun 7, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 19
mmm alot of these suggestions lookin' alright, except for the whole money issue lol.

some isolation is necessary. anything better than what isolation my current mdr-g57 gives me (.... NONE) but not total ignorance of the outside world :p

how do any of you find the px100/200 or similar?

it looks like i might just fork out the extra $50 and grab the es7's...

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 19
I love my Senn PX200s (I get a good fit-so the bass is great with mine). They have served me well for 5 years, but are VERY well-loved so I will be replacing them with the PX100s this week. The 100s are generally regarded as the preferred of the two with many fans here.

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 19
I seen reports that the ES7's don't have all that great of isolation.

Isolation-wise, the rankings are:
HD25-1
K81DJ
ATH-ES7

Even my HD25-1's only cut somewhere around 15-25 dbs

If you want really good isolation go IEMS, where the best deal under $100 is currently Creative EP-630's

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMedeiros /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my Senn PX200s (I get a good fit-so the bass is great with mine). They have served me well for 5 years, but are VERY well-loved so I will be replacing them with the PX100s this week. The 100s are generally regarded as the preferred of the two with many fans here.

Hmm what about isolation wise?

but yeah iv'e heard the Px line's good.

@dreamwhisper: Great suggestions, but my pockets will cry :p only a student.

btw, jmedeiros... as in, Mr J Medeiros??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back