$100 headphones recommendation
Jun 30, 2009 at 11:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

zeromacro

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently looking at the Klipsch S4 and RE0's, but other suggestions are welcomed. I recently bought the SE110's but I wasn't really impressed by them. Good isolation, not worth the 144 bucks I paid for what they are imo. I also want a bit more bass than what the SE110's (to give you a reference). I listen to everything from hiphop, jazz, classical, trance, etc. Any other suggestions around my budget is welcomed. Also, my Cowon S9 should arrive within this week or the next, so I'll be pairing it up with them.

In summary, earphones/IEM's that have:
-good fit/decent isolation (I have small ear canals)
-good SQ: Nothing that lacks bass and has decent treble
-around $100US
-sturdy quality

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 20
the re0 sale is amazing, and you also might want to look at the new PFEs.
and yeah, the se110s have no bass. my dad has a pair, and they're okay, unless you need bass. and if you do, then I think they're horrible.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ the re0 and pfe both "lack" bass without an amp

the turbines should like it'd fit OP better

RE0 doesn't lack bass. It just doesn't have as much bass as the turbines.

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 20
Ironically, I came on to argue that the PFE doesn't lack bass, as long as you use the right filter and get a good seal. Its bass is actually quite nice - clean, controlled, not tubby.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ the re0 and pfe both "lack" bass without an amp

the turbines should like it'd fit OP better

Could you be a bit more specific? How do the turbines compare to the RE0? And should i not even consider the S4's?

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 20
let me piggy ride thread please.
would all those who've heard of both the pfe and re0 provide information on which one has better sq?
and how far the difference is ? is pfe leagues behind the re0?

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 20
While I have not heard the PFEs, I definitely think that the RE0s can easily compete with other higher end IEMs that I've owned (Shure 530s, TF10s, livewires, etc).

For 99 dollars, I would say it's a steal.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 20
well you mentioned sturdy quality... I think most people are aware of the cracking issues with the pfe's but I'm not sure when the new batch will ship. I think they have been producing the new batch but I would think that resellers would want to sell off the first batch before they start shipping the second. Just a guess

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by guineapig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 doesn't lack bass. It just doesn't have as much bass as the turbines.

if u put it that way then nothing lacks bass, they just have less compared to ____

i'm just saying relatively speaking, the re0 and pfe are not known for bass impact which is something the OP seems to want

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #15 of 20
How about this! Try the NEWLY engineered Sony's. They are certainly not like the old models. Sony has employed a much better approach to both materials and design in these. I am refering to the EX300LP's and the EX500LP's. Plenty of bass and is comfy. Does very well all the way around. They will need to be broke in for about 40 hours.....Street price is $59 to $128ish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back