~$100 headphones for all kinda multimedia?
Jun 11, 2006 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

allm1ghty

New Head-Fier
Hello,
This may not be the right forum to ask such thing (as you seem to be more music listeners), but i'm shooting it:

my first priority behind the computer is playing games and watching movies.
listening the music takes second place, so don't recommend headphones from this point.

so, people, can you tell me which headphones at this price range has _best_ surround and such? don't be afraid of recommending Medusa Speedlink 5.1 set, because i've heard with them, and they really do their job at games and movies. -- they do have 6 channels, but does it justify itself, because the channels are very close to each other and you can't get the real _5.1_ feeling, i guess.
but! if they are best at this price range and surround effects are better than usual stereo headphones, then i'll pick them - no problem.

once again: which headphones are best, when you play a lot and watching movies around 100 bucks?

just in case: i have an Audigy 2 Platinum eX, soft-modded to Audigy 4 Pro and modified X-Fi drivers.

best of all,
allm1ghty

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 23
Sounds you need only ATH-A500. They have lot better clearity and bass impact then any 5.1 surround headphones.

Virtual 3D through EAX and CMSS 3D works better then 5.1 setup in headphones IMO. coz every 5.1 HP including medusa are being accused to have different output level from each drivers. Specially they lacks sound balance from rear channels. Also 3 tiny speakers are unable to produce audiophile quality sound and impacts then these audiophile grade cans having two large 53mm drivers.

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 23
thank you for your answer.

unfortunately i live in small country and here ain't many different headphones.

what about Technica ATH-D40fs ? these are available here.
also ATH-M30are available, but their price here is out of my range.
frown.gif
(~140 bucks)

Jun 11, 2006 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 23
Those ATH-A500s would have to be ordered from one of the usual suspects in Japan anyway (Audiocubes, Bluetin etc.), so it pretty much doesn't matter where you are except possibly for taxes and such. I'd also suggest to take a look at the more commonly available Sennheiser models, like the HD555.

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 23
wow, this HD555 costs here ~230 bucks.
etysmile.gif

i can't afford that.

what about HD500? these cost almost 2 times less than HD555.

yeah, it's hard to recommend you, guys, because larger countries (especially USA) have a lot "user-friendly" prices comparing to small countries like Estonia for example.
etysmile.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
Can't you buy online from outside of your country ???

i could, but i just don't trust this kinda "thing" very much.
like how long the transport takes, maybe they get broke meanwhile, maybe they send wrong sets accidentaly etc.

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by allm1ghty
i could, but i just don't trust this kinda "thing" very much.
like how long the transport takes, maybe they get broke meanwhile, maybe they send wrong sets accidentaly etc.

audiocubes.com have good reputation and you may buy A500 from there in $107. Shipping time including transportation usually takes 4 to 7 days.

BTW... I don't like to be as much positive towards unexpected and unseen problems.
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 23
okay, but is A500 really better than Technica ATH-D40fs or Sennheiser HD555 for my needings (gaming and movies)?

usually when i hear Sennheiser name, then i automatically match them with music.
etysmile.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

okay, but is A500 really better than Technica ATH-D40fs or Sennheiser HD555 for my needings (gaming and movies)?

usually when i hear Sennheiser name, then i automatically match them with music.
etysmile.gif

Yes they are. You said you need them primarily for movies and games.. they have been said to have a bass that is a bit on the boomy side, which is perfect for games/movies. Haven't read opinions on the D40fs, but the HD555 isn't known for it's bass; it's more of a warm balanace phone I think.

Edit: Also if you keep an eye out on the FS forums you may be able to find one that is being sold from a user who is either from europe, or from around here who may be willing to ship international; if you don't mind a used one.

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

what about HD500? these cost almost 2 times less than HD555.

These have only heaps of bass. Treble is very, very veiled.

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

etysmile.gif

I dont have experience with D40fs while HD555 lacks in bass area. You may consider DT770 if not A500.

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #13 of 23
okay, but one thing more:

A500 laos can "simulate" nice surround? i didn't exactly get the CMSS3D you were saying. my soundcard supports CMSS, as well as CMSS 2.0 (or is that CMSS termin classified as CMSS 3D)

Jun 11, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

okay, but one thing more:

A500 laos can "simulate" nice surround? i didn't exactly get the CMSS3D you were saying. my soundcard supports CMSS, as well as CMSS 2.0 (or is that CMSS termin classified as CMSS 3D)

CMSS means CMSS 3D for me.
icon10.gif

And yes... They can simulate 3D sound much better then gainward soundXplosion 5.1 I had before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back