$100 Headphone Suggestions (looking at ATH-M50)
Jan 2, 2010 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

raftod

New Head-Fier
Hey this is my first post here, although I've used this place for good audio information in the past
smile_phones.gif

Anyway, I'm looking at a good set of headphones for music, games, and movies. I did a few hours of research both here and elsewhere, and it seems the ath-m50 is a pretty nice set for the money. What does everyone think, especially keeping in mind that movies and games are important, so bass with some punch is a big factor?

Also, would there be a way to connect these to an Xbox 360 and still use a microphone for live?

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 7
I've been playing mass effect with these cans and I the only area I can complain in is the piercing highs as I travel through a relay. Otherwise they're very accurate with slightly elevated bass (good thing IMO), and I enjoy using them.

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #4 of 7
I don't really do any gaming but they're excellent for movies. First movie I used these with was Iron Man and I was blown away. BTW, it seems they sound better when plugged into my tv, i guess the tv acts like an amp?

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 7
Jan 4, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just makes sure you're aware of the elevated bass. If you like that, then get them.

I would recommend that Audio-Technica ATH-AD700's. They have lighter bass, but if you're ok with that, they are amazing for games and movies.

EDIT: DealExtreme: $3.27 Xbox 360 Voice Headset Port to 2*Regular 3.5mm Earphone + Microphone Ports Converter <- that will allow you to use them as a 360 headset.
Amazon.com: Zalman Microphone Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone Retail: Electronics <- that mic is highly regarded.

Thanks for the links! Couple questions though - I don't mind elevated bass if it's good, tight, clean bass. Slightly elevated bass is good for movies/games, and for the music I listen to (mostly rock) it is also good.

For the xbox adapter: is the audio quality from that any good? Or would it be better to use RCA audio out from my TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back