100 Essential Jazz Albums
May 13, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 16
Nice list.

Concerning Ellington, the inclusion of the "Golden Greats" compilation is odd especially since there is overlap with the "Okeh Ellington" and "Never no lament". While "Money Jungle" is a popular record it is definitely not among his best. There are so many other great Ellington records :
- The Great Summit (Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong)
- Masterpieces by Ellington
- Piano in the Foreground
- Violin Sessions
- Such Sweet Thunder

May 13, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 16
Yes - Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 16
Good list! Thanks.
(have to check out that Ornette compilation)

On Ellington, let's not forget New Orleans Suite. Hearing Johnny Hodges on what I think is his last recording is always moving...

And nice to see Charlie Christian and Cecil Taylor's Conquistador in the list.

May 14, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 16
Well, there's always some disclaimer about the last 30 years of the jazz idiom, which is getting kind of old, especially when someone like Henry Threadgill was making definitive records in the late '70s/early '80s that were accessible and inventive (Air Lore, Just the Facts and Pass The Bucket), and singer Abbey Lincoln made about three records in the '90s that outshine the '50s date that made the list. I also have to agree with blem about Ellington; his band made some great records even as he was nearing death, so Money Jungle isn't even close to "essential." And the sound on digitized versions of Never No Lament is so bad that I've never felt comfortable recommending it, despite how iconic the music is. Admittedly, however, it's definitely encouraging to see Cecil Taylor's Conquistador included; unbelievable record.

May 14, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there's always some disclaimer about the last 30 years of the jazz idiom, which is getting kind of old, especially when someone like Henry Threadgill was making definitive records in the late '70s/early '80s that were accessible and inventive (Air Lore, Just the Facts and Pass The Bucket), and singer Abbey Lincoln made about three records in the '90s that outshine the '50s date that made the list. I also have to agree with blem about Ellington; his band made some great records even as he was nearing death, so Money Jungle isn't even close to "essential." And the sound on digitized versions of Never No Lament is so bad that I've never felt comfortable recommending it, despite how iconic the music is. Admittedly, however, it's definitely encouraging to see Cecil Taylor's Conquistador included; unbelievable record.

This is a good reissue of the Blanton-Webster era recordings : Ko-Ko

Users who are viewing this thread

Back