100 dollar headphones, which to choose?
Jul 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fuchs31

New Head-Fier
This is going to my first pair of headphones and I would like to stay around $100. I have done some research and narrowed it down to a few choices. They all seem to get very good reviews, but I'm not sure how to distinguish between them. I was hoping to get your thoughts on them.
1. Sony MDR7506
2. Sony MDR V-6
3. Shure SRH440
4. Sennheiser HD 280

I listen to classic rock, soft rock, jazz, classical, but no hip-hop/techno/rap. Any ideas?
Thanks

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 7
The first 2 I own, between them its the V6.
Why?

Has a tighter clamp, sound isolation is good. Gives a more airy bass.

Disadv of V6 - Long coiled cable ( I wish they start making detachable V6)

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 7
I had the same dilemma a few days ago because I needed to upgrade from my old 600 ohm AKG K240M's. I had $160 and had the Sony MDR-7506/V6 vs HD280Pro vs ATH-M50 to choose from, I ended up getting the Sonys after listening to all three at the Guitar Center. 

Rest assured, the V6 AND THE 7506 ARE THE SAME THING.  (Sound Wise)

I had looked up the comparisons between the two online and many people say that the 7506's have more harsh treble while the V6's are more smooth, however listening to the 7506's I don't find em harsh or fatiguing at all and can listen to them for 2 hours+ without any problems. The main differences with them are: 1. Stickers-  one has PROFESSIONAL and the other has DIGITAL, 2. Plugs- one is gold, the other silver, the gold might help with corrosion over time though. 3. Name. 4. Magnets- The V6 has Samarium Cobalt while the 7506 has Neodymium.  And lastly, the V6 has a common ground while the 7506 has like separate grounds for each drivers or something like that.

I honestly think none of these things affect sound IN ANY WAY AT ALL. 

Now, the sound of the 7506 is love it or hate it, the treble IS a bit emphasized, this gives it a very live, crispy, in your face sound that some (including me) absolutely love, this made me hear high frequency anomalies in music that I'd never heard before, if you are treble sensitivethese are not for you. The mids are rich however the lower mids are on the thin/recessed side. The bass on these headphones are to die for. The bass has lots of oomph and punch while displaying control while still being able to reach very low. 

These are also some of the most comfy headphones ever, the clamp is just right, the earpads are so soft and the cups cover my ears perfectly.

For the price, I don't think they can be beat, I tried out the 280's and while they're a bit more neutral, they sound a bit too congested for me and though the bass does reach lower than the Sony's the higher bass is very recessed. 

Honestly the Sony's are the best for only $77 right now on B&H, Guitar Center price matched it for me. 

TEAM MDR-7506! 
size]

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Get the JVC HAS400 for under $25. It has a lot more detail than the Sony V6. The Sony V6 is probablyone of  the sturdiest headphones though. I had two of them. One was 25 years old and working fine when I got rid of it. It did need new earpads though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back