$100 Comfortable Fitting IEM w/ Good Isolation
Feb 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aaron1006

100+ Head-Fier
As of late I've been selling my my old headphones that don't get much use in search of new flavors to experience, and now I'm onto IEMs. I currently have RE0's and recently picked up CKM50's from all of the hype lately on them. Going to return the CKM50's because the bass is a bit bloated and I find the highs harsh and quite sibilant. As for the RE0's I love everything about the sound except for the lack of bass (imo).  I can't say I found either one very comfortable.

A thing that I have really started to appreciate as I'm dealing more and more with different headphones through the years is a nice visceral sound. I like feeling the punch of bass and feeling the  texture and layering of vocals, etc I have only felt glimpses of what I'm trying to describe prior to getting my Fostex T50RP's and modding them, but since I've got them I notice it a lot more in that particular set and I really like it. I also like having romantic female vocals, as I feel female vocals cause the most emotion for me out of any music. Might be asking for a lot from ~$100 or less, but something close would be nice! I would also really appreciate good isolation (something the CKM50's lacked), and I'm really interested in a more ergonomic design rather than typical uncomfortable generic designed IEM's. Something like SE215/315/425/535 design (which I have considered the SE215, but I'm not sure if it meets my criteria so I need to do more research on it to consider it as an option), or anything that is really meant to be shaped more for a natural fit. This video is actually what sparked my interest in a new more comfortable IEM if anyone cares or doesn't understand what I mean :p http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BiqHs8w_p8.

I've tried to do some research on the plethora of threads, particularly the Multi-IEM review threads and man there are just so many different options from so many different brands, half of which I have never even heard of. I usually hang around the full sized forum and going from there to here there are way more choices and way more brands, so I really don't know what the popular suggestion for something like what I'm looking for in an IEM would be in my price range.

Forgot to mention my primary types of music are heavier rock bands (In Fear and Faith, blessthefall, Escape the Fate, The Used, etc.), electronic type pop (not really sure how to describe it, but think stuff like Owl City and Lights), and a bit of acoustic, hip-hop, and occasionally some classical, so quite a wide variety. I suppose I'm looking for a mostly neutral w/ a bit of a bass punch (not bloat), intimate female vocals, comfortable ergonomic fit, w/ good isolation at or under $100.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the suggestion! Haven't heard about the Westone 1, but I just got finished looking into the UM1 a bit. I'll do some research on it here in a bit!

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 5
I got the Westone 1's on Thursday, ask anything you want =D They are an improvement of the UM1's apparently. Minor upgrades. What I'm seeing around is a better, more updated construction, slightly better SQ all around. Not to mention all the fun pack-ins =D

The most comfortable IEM I have ever felt. I can sleep on my ear, and have it not push it, but it's solid, around the ear/wire and fantastic! Very good, very clear vocals, and good highs/mids. You won't get the bass you wanted from these though. It's an inverse proportion.  Great upper levels, kind of lesser bass levels. You might want to look into the SE215's for a stronger bass though, those things are fun =D

You won't get better ergonomics/comfort than the Westone 1's, but you won't get the bass of the SE215. Dese vocals though. DEM VOCALS.

As for what you listen to: For the hard-rock, I'm unfamiliar with your bands, but I listen to bands which might be a tad lighter, such as Rise Against, Billy Talent, Dropkick Murphy's, and I absolutely adore them on these W1's, the vocals are amazing.

As for classical--that's what these phones destroy in. Listen to Radetzky's March, Grieg's Theme in A minor, or for some more fun, Liberty Bell/Imperial March =D These demolish classical.

Interesting that you specified female vocals. Look around online:

http://inearmania.blogspot.com/2011/12/westone-1-review.html

That's from December. I can't say I disagree, I listen to many Female Vocalists, most of them of the Asian variety, so they typically have higher voices.

Isolation is amazing. I do NOT get along with my dorm roommate. He always blasts his annoying modern country music, or blasts the TV with horrific shows that call themselves "comedy". I have the foams that come default ON them, with my Comply tips sitting in a box right over here, still unopened. I can't hear anything once I turn on soft music. Not much I can hear without music too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back