$100 closed -back headphone
Aug 13, 2015 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cagriyil

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I need a headphone to use in public places. Therefore, a closed-back one might be better. My budget is about 100 USD. 
Active noise canceling is not really important, I don't want people to hear what I listen.
I know that the sound stage is not as good as opened-back cans. However, I prefer a wide soundstage if this is possible.
Moreover, I like "exciting" bass but not "head exploding."
I don't know how to describe better what type of bass I like...
Hope this helps
I can try to explain more detailed if needed...
Thanks

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 15
Did you have any in mind, or are you starting your search from scratch? Gemini HSR-1000s I know are in that budget, along with Takstar Pro 80s (they might be the same thing, rebranded?). Should have warmer sounds and are great values regardless of price.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 15
Look into the Logitech UE6000. They are only a little over your budget, but a very good headphone for portable use that might suit your needs.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 15
UE6000 is sensational for the price, great soundstage, detachable mic cable, good durability, loads of bass. Only problem is it runs on 2 AAA batteries, although the batteries aren't necessary; in fact most Head Fi'ers prefer it with the active voice cancelling  off, even with the reduced volume.

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 15
+1 on the Takstar Pro80's. Only drawback with them is that they come with either a 3 meter straight cacle or a coiled cable. This may recude portablility. I just ordered a new pair (my old pair did brake after more than three years of heavy usage) and they were only $45 shipped from China, crazy value :wink:

I personally really dislike the UE6000's so if your able to demo before buying I'd higly recommend doing so. Soundstage is certainly not one of their strengths. 

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 15
I'm still searching in order to pick the right one. I want to add some more things:
I prefer a short kable like 1-1.5m
I want to hear all details in music, I like strong and exciting bass ( not like Beats )
Prefer passive noise canceling
İt is important that people near me don't hear what I'm listening.
Thanks again!

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #12 of 15
I like strong and exciting bass ( not like Beats )

Not sure what that means since a lot of people feel that Beats have strong and exciting bass.

Speaking of Beats, the Beats Solo 2 are supposed to be an excellent headphone. Beats apparently got it right this time: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent. A bit over your budget, though.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 15
Not sure what that means since a lot of people feel that Beats have strong and exciting bass.

Speaking of Beats, the Beats Solo 2 are supposed to be an excellent headphone. Beats apparently got it right this time: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent. A bit over your budget, though.

"exciting" and "strong" bass doesn't mean "head exploding" bass for me. I just don't want light bass, it should be strong but not "overpowering."
I don't know how to describe my feelings better..
Thanks for your suggestion, I'm going to read the reviews about beats solo.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 15
"exciting" and "strong" bass doesn't mean "head exploding" bass for me. I just don't want light bass, it should be strong but not "overpowering."
I don't know how to describe my feelings better..

I know it's difficult to explain. And it has do with how much bass people like is very individualistic. So "light bass" to you might be just right to me. Or "light bass" to me might be "overpowering" bass to you. Mostly, the only way to communicate that is to have some kind of frame of reference. For instance, if you heard any headphones that are closer to being just right, and other head-fiers have listened to them as well, then it would be easier to make recommendations.

Those Gemini HSR-1000/Takstar Pro 80s might suit you. They have some bass emphasis over a neutral headphone, but are not very bass heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back