$100 budget, maybe I can go a little higher?
Mar 30, 2010 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Brennan

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I currently have klipsch image s4's which I think are probably one of the most overrated earphones ever. They sound completely muddy. I've had them for 3 months. Even with "Acoustic" or "Treble Booster" EQ setting, it sounds clearer, BUT the vocals have that high pitched "tisssssss" when they sing. It really hurts my ears. Anyway I need a new headphone. I've had HD595, Grado SR60, Beats By Dre STUDIO. I LOVED the sound of HD 595's and SR60's. The beats were AMAZINGLY comfortable, but my god the sound of that bass rattled the earcups and distorted everything and the highs and mids were SO muddy. I sold them. My two SR60's broke, and my HD595 is back in New York. Im in Washington state right now. I listen to Death Metal, R&B, Rap, Rock, Trance. Basically from In Flames, Soilwork to Kayne West, Lil Wayne, to Cold, Limp Bizkit, Bon Jovi, Boston, Journey, DJ Dean. etc etc. Pretty much everything. I want a full, detailed, fun can that will make me smile and head bang. I dont want something too FLAT. I've been looking at ES7, AD700, M50, 1001, XB700. Any ideas guys? Please help. THANKS!

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 9
The AD700's might not have what you're looking for as they are bass light. The others on your list seem to fit well. I'll recommend the M50's and D1001's.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 9
Second the D1001 and M50.

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 9
Just get yourself some Creative Aurvana Live headphones and save yourself a few dollars. From what i've heard, they're almost the same as the Denon D1001. Same drivers. I don't know how true this is.

The Creatives are only $67 on Amazon! The 1001 is around $150 I think. The 1000 is $100, but i'm not sure of the difference between this and the 1001 model.

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks alot guys! So last question M50 or 1001? I hear that the M50 is a more engaging musical experience and its incredibly detailed. Will I hear every little detail of my music?

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 9
I think the D1001 measures a bit more neutral than the M50. I have not listened to the M50 but I did listen to the M40, and found it to be a tad uncomfortable (too tight, earcups to sweaty). The D1001 is just about the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried. I do not know how the Aurvana measures up in terms of comfort or sound. I do not think both have the same design, only the same drivers which does not mean they will sound exactly alike. However, I think the D1001 are fairly neutral with some treble roll-of, the sound of the M50s looks more like what you want. I would reckon with either of these cans you would hear a lot of "good" details.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brennan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys. I currently have klipsch image s4's

The IEM? I was looking at them for some IEM but I don't know the last pair I tried some Senns it was painful in my ear.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 9
I recommend the M50s. I heard details that I couldn't pick out with any of the other headphones I've ever had. There's this really quiet echo right before the first riff hits in Led Zeppelin's The Ocean, and that was the first time I'd ever heard it, using the M50s.
P.S. You can always go a bit higher
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back