$100 bookshelf speakers
Jun 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JJJMan75

Head-Fier
My current bookshelf speakers (sorry excuses for bookshelf speakers anyway)
probably need to be replaced sometime soon. I use these exclusively for gaming and movies, so I don't think midrange is a very important frequency here. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Additional info: The room is pretty small, so it can be filled with sound pretty easily.
My amplifier is 125 watts, ohm "handling" (idk the official term) of 6-16 ohms.

Jun 26, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 15
For $100 (and a bit more) for the pair, it's hard to beat models from the Pioneer A. Jones line.

+1

Pioneer BS22s frequently on sale for $100 or less per pair.

Also, I don't get why midrange is not important for gaming and movies. Seems important to me :)

Plus, if bass for movies and gaming is what you are after, no bookshelf (or tower) speaker is a replacement for a good sub.

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 15

For $100 (and a bit more) for the pair, it's hard to beat models from the Pioneer A. Jones line.

+1

See:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 15
+1 on the Pioneer BS22-LR rec as well. I bought the BS22-LR first as my fronts for my 2.1 and liked them so much that I bought the rest of the line as the core to my budget 5.1 HT system. Bought a pair of FS52-LR as fronts, moved the BS22-LR to the rear and got the C22 as a center. Money well spent.

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #12 of 15
Jun 26, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 15
I've been thinking about the Pioneers for a while as well. For those owning a pair, how do you find the treble? I've read they're somewhat harsh/sibilant at times

In comparison to what? Many home audio speaker enthusiasts see them as the best speakers one can buy for the money. I only have limited listening with the Pioneers, but I didn't find there to be a problem, either. If you are worried about how smooth the treble on those will be, you'll have to spend a lot more to do better.

May I please know with what are you amping it with? I should use them as stereo speakers, so I'll probably get a T-amp os some vintage 3020NAD amp

Keep in mind that 30 year old amps may need capacitor replacement to get their best sound. Leaky capacitors can often be an issue with aged electronics. If you are trying to put together a budget setup, this Denon AVR 1513 would be an excellent value. I can also recommend Indeed t-amps if you go that route.

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #14 of 15
+1

Also, I don't get why midrange is not important for gaming and movies. Seems important to me :)

Plus, if bass for movies and gaming is what you are after, no bookshelf (or tower) speaker is a replacement for a good sub.

I found a sub from an old ProMedia 2.1, so I do have a sub... However, its amp is shot and I need an external power source for it. When I search for amps, all I find is car audio stuff. How am I supposed to power it if I don't have a subwoofer output on my receiver?

Jun 27, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 15
I found a sub from an old ProMedia 2.1, so I do have a sub... However, its amp is shot and I need an external power source for it. When I search for amps, all I find is car audio stuff. How am I supposed to power it if I don't have a subwoofer output on my receiver?

Modern receivers are not meant to power subs. Home audio subs (except for some high end stuff) come with built in amps. Well, except for some cheap HTIB receivers. They often will have subwoofer amp output, but it's specifically tuned for the sub meant to go with the set (and is usually not a good sub at all).

I don't think it's worth it to resurrect that Klipsch Promedia sub. Unless you are an engineer or DIY guy who likes doing that kind of stuff. If you want to look at sub amps, check out Parts Express. Plate amplifiers are the most cost effective way to get a subwoofer amp on the cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back