10 Worst movies
Jul 24, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #31 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
Maybe I missed the point when I saw it. It was late at night and it just didn't make sense to me. I liked Full Metal Jacket, perhaps I recognized the characters from my own life. Clockwork Orange, I didn't like that one either.

I actually thought Full Metal Jacket was done really well -- but it was really two movies, not one. The boot camp part was just great -- perhaps a few shallow characters but still it felt very honest. Also I thought the filming itself -- the camerawork -- was masterfully done. But the second half simply wasn't anything special in my mind. It seemed like Kubrick felt obligated to have part of the movie describe what happens to the characters after boot camp, but it didn't seem a necessary part to me.

Eyes Wide Shut shouldn't be watched late at night -- if you're tired, that is. The first time I watched it was 1 or 2 when we started watching so it was quite late enough, but I thought it was great partly just because it did have that late night feel. It was all somewhat hazy, kind of like a long dream sequence. Tom Cruise was even convincing as an intelligent human being (difficult for a dolt). I remember reading one critique of the movie in the Boston Globe, I think. The critic said that the sex sequences didn't "turn him on." I wonder if some people think it was supposed to be a **** movie?
smily_headphones1.gif
But again, I think the film went very smoothly with great camerawork, making it something like a piece of visual art as well as a great visual-literary achievement.

Clockwork Orange was okay, but I thought the book did a far better job of telling the story. Why make the movie if the book is already better? I think that when a movie is based on a book, it should either bring out something dormant in the book or else tell the story better than the book. This usually happens with very bad pulp-fiction novels, like Stephen King or Michael Crichton books.

Jul 24, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #32 of 92
my pick for the worst film of all time:

Star Wars - Episode I, The Phantom Anus (1999)

B00003CX5P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

bad script, bad acting, bad special effects.

i went to see this in the theater when it came out. people in the theater seemed to enjoy it. they were laughing and getting into it. just unbelievable.

Jul 24, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #33 of 92
I've got two problems with "Eyes Wide Shut"; 1) Kubrick died before he was done writing/shooting it, and 2) some morons thought they knew where Stan was going with it and how to get there went and "finished" it. Other than that (as if there could be "other than that"), great movie . . .

Jul 24, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #34 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Clockwork Orange was okay, but I thought the book did a far better job of telling the story. Why make the movie if the book is already better? I think that when a movie is based on a book, it should either bring out something dormant in the book or else tell the story better than the book. This usually happens with very bad pulp-fiction novels, like Stephen King or Michael Crichton books.

i think that when a movie is based on a book it will definitely suck in comparison. this however, is not true when it comes to a clockwork orange. having read the book (and the originally deleted last chapter), i think the movie is about as perfect as a version of the book could get. jurassic park, about a boy, harry potter, the lord of the rings, all these great books definitely fell short when it came to the movies. just my opinion though.

eyes wide shut is just too kubrick, so if you aren't a fan of him you won't like it. full metal jacket has some appeal to most people, because it has blood and guns in it. oh and i forgot to include this in my "war movies i don't hate" post earlier.

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:24 AM Post #35 of 92
why do movies like "clockwork orange" or "full metal jacket" even get mentioned on a worst movie list? are they worse than say, "plan nine from outer space"? are they worse than a three stooges film with "joe" instead of "curly"? no, they are not. whatever you might think of them personally they are obviously very well made films, and to put them on a "worst film" list is just silly. i'm not a "kubrick can do no wrong" wacko, but PLEASE! there are FAR worse films out there.

also, i disagree with you kelly. i thought "escape from l.a." was a riot, but i'm a carpenter fan so i understand his sense of humor.

some of the worst films i've ever seen were:

plan 9 from outer space
attack of the killer tomatoes! (good title, very poor film)
starship invaders
leprechaun 4: in space
batman & robin
clambake! (with elvis! my vote for worst movie title)
santa claus conquers the martians (so, so funny)
the brain that wouldn't die
glen or glenda?
rescue from gilligan's island (tv movie)

i'm lucky though, my local public tv station plays "so bad they're good" films late at night.

Jul 25, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #38 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Enigma
SHOWGIRLS!!! (Gotta Be The Worst Of All)!!!

i actually thought showgirls was really funny. of course, it was unintended humor.

Quote:

some of the worst films i've ever seen were:

plan 9 from outer space

i'd rate this one on my top 25 favorites of all time. plan 9 from outer space is a classic. it's really fun and campy. highly recommended!

tor johnson rules!

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #39 of 92
Has anyone ever seen " Desperate Living"? I think it's an early John Waters movie. It's in the same league as "Pink Flamingos".

You ain't seen bad until you've seen these beauties.

Jul 25, 2002 at 6:21 AM Post #40 of 92
Toy Soldiers...That movie is so pathetic it is not even funny...And it even managed to ruin a good song too...whenever I hear Zepplin's Communication Breakdown I remeber that disturbingly awful movie and switch tracks to avoid the thought of it...

So thus, that is my worst movie...for it has ruined a song I once enjoyed...'Least I didnt have to pay for it...

Hmm...I am unable (thankfully) to recall the names of all of the other awful movies that I have seen...perhaps I am lucky in that aspect...

Jul 25, 2002 at 11:44 AM Post #41 of 92
I think the problem with Showgirls is that Verhoeven's humor *IS* intentional, but his humor is so dry and satirical that people don't realize he's trying to be funny. See also Robocop, Starship Troopers. You really have to be a fan of satire to be a fan of Verhoeven.

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:18 PM Post #43 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
Didn't he also do Total Recall? That was actually quite a decent movie despite having Arnold as leading man.

Yes, Total Recall also. But less people hate that one than his other.

The point was that all of his films are over the top to the point of being campy. They're really making fun of themselves.

Jul 25, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #44 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
The point was that all of his films are over the top to the point of being campy. They're really making fun of themselves.

i've seen interviews of him and i wouldn't give him that much credit, but that's just me.

i too am a fan of "escape from l.a." and i think 90% of the movies mentioned in this thread are poorly listed. we're talking about the worst movies ever made.. and you list oscar winners? i can understand not liking a movie, but that just seems silly to me..

some movies are bad, but that doesn't mean they are the worst ever. the ones i listed however, definitely are. oh and i agree on batman & robin, wow was it bad.

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #45 of 92
Well, there is point where a movie becomes good because it is so bad. You wouldn't want to sit down and watch it yourself, but get a couple friends together and it become a riot.

It is the MST3K effect.

Some movies are bad, but not bad enough to be worth watching to laugh at their atrociousness. Those are the worst movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back