10" subwoofer vs 18" subwoofer
Apr 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lemon2

Head-Fier
I was very disappointed with my LTC SW100 10" subwoofer. I am considering upgrading to a custom 18" sealed subwoofer. (Specifically the Fi SSD18 with Beh. EP4000.) This upgrade would cost around £400 as I have got some great used prices. Could anyone with experience with subs tell me if going from 10" to 18" makes a big difference to the listening experience of electronic music? Obviously the bass is much bigger but does it actually sound good enough for the £400 increase?

Apr 11, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Driver size tells us nothing about how a system will sound. Period.

A more robust subwoofer with better low-end response at a higher level will get you more perceptible bass, but the real key to good bass is room treatment to handle modal ringing among other things. 

I've realised that is certainly true about driver size, after all the BK XLS 200 is also a 10", not to mention higher-end 10" subs.

Well I do know for sure that the low-end response will be better, I suppose the balance between bass perception and price is an entirely personal choice.

Quote:
Considering the LTC SW100 is basically a HTIB bargain bin sub I don't see how anything with your expanded budget won't be better...

Thanks for informing me- I actually didn't know about the origins of the LTC SW100. That explains it's amazingly bad SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back