Oct 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

audiowalker

500+ Head-Fier
Hum, should I start my blog with "Dear Diary?" No, I guess not. Where to start....music is a good place.

Last winter while visiting my parents, my dad was cleaning out some stuff, in preparation for the day he passes away, and he asked me if I would like his record player. "Absolutely!" I said. It is a Dual 1019 with an auto return and a vintage Shure cartridge. He purchased it in Japan when he was stationed there in the 1960s. It still plays like new and sounds - well - wonderful. Along with the record player he gave me his record collection. In his collection are music greats of the past, like Frank, Louis Armstrong (who he got to see live when he was in his teens - WOW), Coltrane, Mario Lanza, Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa, etc.

I remember playing records in my youth and hearing all the "pops" and noise - ugh the noise....then CD happened and I thought music couldn't get better - no more "pops" or "ticks." Of course, this was many years ago and now...well maybe.

It is funny how life brings us full circle at times. Well, when I got home and clean up the record player I started to play his records and I was amazed how sweet they sounded and with little "pops" and "ticks" - especially for their age and travels. My dad was in the military and we moved every 3 years so these records have been all over the world and US.

Well, that started my travels back to "vintage" equipment. So, I started to read up on how to care for records and how to best bring out the music on a record player. I learned everything I could about needles, cartridges, tone arms, counter weights, platters, sub platter, direct drive, belt drive, etc.

So, I decided to purchase a tube amp to complement the Dual. I wanted to start with an entry level amp in case I changed my mind, thus not having too much money invested in this adventure. I purchased a Jolida amp and was hooked. Music is sweet and smooth....so, I started to read all I could find on tube rolling and bias which lead to the purchase of a phono tube amp and then a headphone tube amp.

In addition to a tube amp to go along with the Dual, I found an older pair of Klipsch speakers and BOOM - a two channel system to replicate "transporting" music like yesteryear.

I think what I appreciate most of these events is it has developed a greater appreciation for music and artists of old and new. I am listening to America "A Horse with no Name" that I purchased from the local Salvation Army store and I can close my eyes and imagine being in the front row.

Maybe this is why I like headphones so much because they can do the same in a different way than the traditional speaker set up.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 2
Your system would have been considered "high end" back in the day. I actually owned a Dual 1219. It's nice to see some of this equipment survive and be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back