1 TOTL or 2-3 Mid-fi?
Jun 3, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #16 of 31
However, I hope that the Clear alone will cover most of my needs.
Clear are a lovely headphone, a clear (get it?) improvement over DCA Ether CX. Kinda the same tier as Arya, and a tier below Diana V2, if you were ever thinking about upgrading, haha.

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #17 of 31
Clear are a lovely headphone, a clear (get it?) improvement over DCA Ether CX. Kinda the same tier as Arya, and a tier below Diana V2, if you were ever thinking about upgrading, haha.
I had AKG K712 Pro and Hifiman Ananda, which did not satisfy me 100%.

Focal Clear is my third full size and based on everything I've read it should have a little bit of everything I'm looking for ... it will arrive in the next few days, I hope to enjoy it for a long time before other upgrades .. 😅

Jun 3, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 31
Focal Clear is my third full size and based on everything I've read it should have a little bit of everything I'm looking for ... it will arrive in the next few days, I hope to enjoy it for a long time before other upgrades .. 😅
I sincerely hope you won't get "upgraditis" and will stay satisfied with Clear for the foreseeable future :)

Jun 3, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #20 of 31
I don't see myself having a collection of 5-6 headphones or even more than 10.

I could probably get to have 2 or 3, but no more.

I do like the Clears a very good headphone and was set to buy them after hearing a friends pair on my Amps and Sound Kenzie amp and just loved them but just after that a pair of OG Abyss (wasn’t OG at the time) came up for sale here at a great price $2K for a $5K headphone so I took the chance and have not been disappointed. So there are used bargains to be had as well. Still thinking about some Utopia’s.

Jun 3, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #21 of 31

That’s what we all said.

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #22 of 31
A 1000 € headphone / IEM TOTL or 2-3 mid-fi 300-400 €? What do you prefer? 🤔
If you are just starting out, and can afford to get a TOTL, then I reckon that's the way to get going. And by all means do plenty of research and auditions to make sure what you choose is something you know you really like. That way you will have no regrets, and you're never thinking about what you are missing due to the necessary trade-offs among the 2-3 mid-fi.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! Once you get 2 or 3, what's a couple more?!?!

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #23 of 31
What @someguyontheinternet recommended is what I did.

I started out with several 400-500€ headphones until I knew enough about my taste and preferences and then chose the right flagship for me.
If you have the chance to audition beforehand use it.
I had to buy and sell at a loss a few years later, since my budget also scaled with my career.

If I had to go back to this decision with everything I know now, I'd take the right 1k headphone, but without trying all the different signatures, you never know if you picked thr right one

Jun 6, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #24 of 31
Simple. :wink:

You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #26 of 31
That would be great and make choices a lot easier, but I can hardly try before buying.
I wish there was a company that would provide this renting service. I would even pay for a subscription, a new amp/dac/headphone every month.

Jun 17, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #27 of 31
I'd go for the TOTL ... although for that cash you'd be better off to buy used.

Best you can get with a little luck for 1k is a used Stax 007 imo :)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 31

I wish I'd be able to say that too ... I just don't see how I could cover all my bases with less than at least 4 or 5 headphones since they sound all so different and have different strenghts, weaknesses, synergy with different gear and different use cases.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #29 of 31
I sincerely hope you won't get "upgraditis" and will stay satisfied with Clear for the foreseeable future :)
Why ? Do you think the Clears are so much better than the AB-1266 TC’s ?

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #30 of 31
I wish there was a company that would provide this renting service. I would even pay for a subscription, a new amp/dac/headphone every month.
The Cable Company's Headphone Lending Library I think is such a service, though I've never used it (or know much about it other than its existence). You pay 5% of the headphone's cost plus shipping. The 5% is applicable to the purchase of the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back