#1 priority, headphones or amp?
Apr 6, 2008 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

ken5

New Head-Fier
Howdy!

Been thinking of getting better headphones for my ipod classic 80GB. From reading this site I have narrowed it down to either the triple fi 10 pro of the se530. I do not have an amp at the moment and I have read that the amp gives the real wow factor. For sure I cannot afford, nor would I be able to convince my wife, to get both at the moment. Which should come first, an amp or the headphones? I am using the stock ipod earbuds at the moment.

It might be a very long time before I do get an amp. Will these headphones still wow me without an amp? If not it might alter my decision to get such expensive headphones.

Thanks!

Ken

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 33
Headphones first, if you get good IEM's you may not worry about an amp for a while. It looks that way.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones first.. always

Headphones make the biggest difference for SQ. Amps & DACs provide those subtle differences.

Common mistake repeatedly made by all new comers. I am guilty myself of following the same pattern.
It all starts with the source. DAC makes the biggest difference.

But for portable use, from my experience, improvement from the amp was quite marginal.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Common mistake repeatedly made by all new comers. I am guilty myself of following the same pattern.

you mean... music first.

without music, u cant hear anything.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 33
Ibud with D2 sounds bad =(

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

All else equal, the best DAC in the world paired with iBuds will sound worse than a Grado SR-60 hooked up to an iPod.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All else equal, the best DAC in the world paired with iBuds will sound worse than a Grado SR-60 hooked up to an iPod.

How ridiculous that might sound, but from my experience that was quite opposite.
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

But for portable use, from my experience, improvement from the amp was quite marginal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif

haha i guess it kind of goes both ways when you make comparisons like that.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones first.. always

Headphones make the biggest difference for SQ. Amps & DACs provide those subtle differences.

I agree wholeheartedly. At least in the context of IEMs. My Se530s sound just fine straight out of my ipod. Running them out of my Meier Move and Pa2v2 the difference is quite subtle. Maybe a 10% improvement in that they sound a bit "fuller". I usually don't bother and just listen out of my Ipod as that marginal increase in SQ doesn't justify having to carry the extra weight around IMO. You should definitely find them pleasant to listen to straight out of an ipod. Once you move into full-size cans and higher impedance however, the difference should be greater using amps and DACs.

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 33
IMHO, most of IEMs sounded sufficiently decent driven straight out of iPod. Even SE530 sounds pretty good out of iPod without an amp. That being said, you will experience its true potential with the even better source and amp when you have $$$ to upgrade to a non-portable rig. By all means, go for the IEM first, and you can upgrade later when you have more money or your need changes.

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 33
1st priority?

Ah... that would be... MONEY... lot's and lot's of money!

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 33
Phones make the biggest difference but when I added a LD MKIV SE tube amp to the mix some of my phones sounded better and I attribute this to the powerful, well controlled current that was now coursing through my phones. I also think it made cheaper phones like the MS1 sound almost as good as more expensive phones like the Sennheiser HD600.

Apr 6, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 33
From my experiences I would say Headphones>DAC>Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back