(1) PC + (6) soundcards + Foobar??
Nov 13, 2004 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
Okay, a simple question. Can I install multiple soundcards in a single PC and run multiple instances of Foobar simultaneously while directing each to a separate card?

I am investigating the possibility of a music server capable of playing several 'channels' simultaneously to distribute music throughout my home where you plug in at remote locations and change channels until you find something you like, similar to the way you do on a commercial flight.

There are other ways to distribute music that I'm considering as well (where you can choose specific musical selections remotely, for example), but I think this would be a good way to start. I'm aware of the need for distribution amps and/or balanced stereo drivers for long signal runs.

Thanks.

-coma

Nov 13, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 18
Foobar should allow it.

Winamp does. Just select Wave output then map it to the right soundcard.

Make sure in options you select to have multiple instances.

Nov 13, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 18
*cough cough*

DualFoo.jpg

I simply created a new folder in my program files directory (called it Foo2) and copied my foobar2000 folder into it. Opened both of the foobar2000.exe files, and had two identical instances. Told one to output to my onboard sound, the other to my 1212m.....viola! Slap a mixer between the two and you got an awesome DJ-ing rig!

-Z

Nov 13, 2004 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 18
NEAT!!

Next question--can I use several of the same model sound card, i.e. six EMU 0404's?

(Fingers crossed). In the 'old days', you could select IRQ's with jumpers--I hope PnP doesn't render this impossible...

Thanks (again)!

Nov 13, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
I've got a 1212m in there right now....and an 0404 sitting over there *points to the other side of the room

I'll report back in a few minutes!

-Z

Why is that 0404 just "sitting over there?" You need to mod that sucker and sell it to me!
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 18
EMU's PatchMixDSP soundcard control application (needs to be running at all times for sound output) only supports having one soundcard enabled at a time. This may be resolved in a future update, but that's just speculation.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
EMU's PatchMixDSP soundcard control application (needs to be running at all times for sound output) only supports having one soundcard enabled at a time. This may be resolved in a future update, but that's just speculation.

Thanks for the info M.R. I sure hope they do. Does that mean no 0404 and 1212m at the same time?

Can you use multiple AV710's?

Worst case:

- (1) AV710
- (1) 0404
- (1) Audigy ZS (good enough for the 'classic rock' channel
evil_smiley.gif
)
- (1) ??? - Uh oh, running out of options.

I want at least four channels and hopefully six.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 18
If you want to use multiple soundcards in one computer, use M-Audio (some) or RME as their drivers support them.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 18
Thanks Mr. Radar! I'm finding that out the hardway....the creative register program wants me to register the 1212m, but the patchmix won't recognize anything but the 0404. Both are recognized in my device manager and show up as being installed well!

Strange....well, I DO hope this gets resolved soon...it'd be cool to be able to do multiple cards.

That look is foopilot one. There's another thread here about it....in the computers as a source forum. Links and all!

And I DO have an 0404 or two....and I HAVE modded cards before....hmm....do I sense a few PM's my way?
biggrin.gif

-Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Back