+1 for Net Neutrality..and 4-Chan??
Jul 27, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #31 of 39
I don't really think this is about network neutrality as much as it is outright Chinese-style censorship, is it? I thought net neutrality (or UN-neutrality really) would be more like AT&T reducing the bandwidth of 4-chan (or whomever) practically to zero unless they paid big fees to get the major pipelines. That would ensure that the ISP (in this case AT&T) gets to host its content front and center, and any other corporate content from paid subscribers also gets the bandwidth, while the little guy goes under before you can say www.

Either way, it's completely lame. These self-appointed "guardians" of our lives and what content we have access to are way out of line. Move to china if you want to censor people, AT&T.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really think this is about network neutrality as much as it is outright Chinese-style censorship, is it? I thought net neutrality (or UN-neutrality really) would be more like AT&T reducing the bandwidth of 4-chan (or whomever) practically to zero unless they paid big fees to get the major pipelines. That would ensure that the ISP (in this case AT&T) gets to host its content front and center, and any other corporate content from paid subscribers also gets the bandwidth, while the little guy goes under before you can say www.

Well it's not really neutral if it doesn't exist, right? That would be the most extreme form of impartiality, in theory? But in either case..let's hope that this doesn't turn into anything bigger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT?

yeah this is true, I'm very lucky when it comes to my paycheck. I get very bored and restless when I don't feel useful or there just isn't enough work for me and that is the situation I have at my job. Like I've said this is just a summer gig, I'll be back at school in a month spending my time in a lab and volunteering at a hospital on weekends for no money. Even though I don't get paid for these things I enjoy them a lot more because they interest me and help me towards my goal.

QFT=Quoted for Truth
wink.gif

I love what I do, and working for the whole non-profit thing(NPR internship)..but investing that much time knowing that you're not getting paid wears pretty thin after a while. How did you get hooked up doing IT at our age though?

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
QFT=Quoted for Truth
wink.gif

I love what I do, and working for the whole non-profit thing(NPR internship)..but investing that much time knowing that you're not getting paid wears pretty thin after a while. How did you get hooked up doing IT at our age though?

oh cool! never heard that one before ^^ I just got lucky with my job, I've been messing with computer since I was pretty young so I didn't need much training and the company my dad works for happened to need an IT assistant so they gave me a job. I could never do this stuff full time though, for me it just doesn't do it. All I do is sit in a room listening to music waiting for things to break and running around the office doing things my boss doesn't want to.

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #34 of 39
That company must have a pretty decent IT department. Usually, there's *more* than enough client support work to keep everyone busy. Or, perhaps your users spend less time using their computers to crack open coconuts than in most of the companies I have worked...
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That company must have a pretty decent IT department. Usually, there's *more* than enough client support work to keep everyone busy. Or, perhaps your users spend less time using their computers to crack open coconuts than in most of the companies I have worked...
tongue.gif

the users aren't too bad, we get entertaining emails every once in a while but most stuff around here is a quick little boring fix. Everybody that does their work knows how to use their machine and everybody who doesn't do anything knows how to use IE8 well enough that they don't bother us.

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #37 of 39
Usually a job posting will let you know a general idea of the IT infrastructure, but asking about policies during the interview is a good way to not get selected
smily_headphones1.gif
That being said privacy protection is no laughing matter. I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that depending on your companies policy, peeking into someone's email is probably not legal.

Depending on where you work, hooking up a rogue box on a corporate network is a great way to have security at your door
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
Back in the dark ages of IT, there used to be an unwritten code among IT employees to NOT break an employee's privacy barrier unless there was a VERY good reason (like a court order or evidence of criminal activity). IT always had access to everything - but we never used to abuse that privilege. I think things have changed considerably, and now the IT access *is* being used by the more holier-than-thou corporations to attempt to control the image of both the management and the corporation by controlling the 'net activities of their employees. All it takes is one overzealous or prudish network admin to decide that a manager needs to be brought down (even his own), and all of those emails they may have sent to a close friend in a pique of frustration from their company blackberry may mean the end of their career.

I've read the news articles, and I definitely hope I don't work for one of those holier-than-thou corporations in the future.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually a job posting will let you know a general idea of the IT infrastructure, but asking about policies during the interview is a good way to not get selected
smily_headphones1.gif
That being said privacy protection is no laughing matter. I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that depending on your companies policy, peeking into someone's email is probably not legal.

Depending on where you work, hooking up a rogue box on a corporate network is a great way to have security at your door
smily_headphones1.gif

I've read the news articles, and I definitely hope I don't work for one of those holier-than-thou corporations in the future.

IANAL, but actually, I believe court case after court case has ruled that ALL corporate email servers, computers, blackberry and any data on the same is 100% owned by the company. There is NO expectation of privacy with anything having to do with your corporate email. They can and will read anything coming in or out of their network. I think there have been successful cases where the company made some sort of declaration that the email was private, but those were very specific cases. There have also been cases where the company accessed the employees private webmail account without their permission using cached passwords on the confiscated machine or keyloggers. I'm not sure, but I think that was found to be a breach of privacy, even though the companies argued that those accounts were accessed using company assets and on company time.

I think it's wrong - but it is the state of corporate America today.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #39 of 39
After after reading up, it does look like you're right for corporate policy. It's our own enterprise policy that dictates a very specific process to access a user's email/information. But it would seem my situation is not typical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back