1/8'' vs. 1/4'' -- sound quality difference?
Dec 10, 2008 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MikeJ138

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Strange question. I am looking into buying a Little Dot MK I+ and was looking at some pics and I see that they have 1/8'' headphone outputs. Maybe it is just me but I prefer the 1/4'' plug output to my headphones. Just seems beefier and sturdier.

Welcome to Audiophilechina

Does anyone else have any impressions? Does this even matter or am I just being paranoid? Any difference in sound quality or anything? Power loss or less power being able to run through?

My ultimate goal is to get an amp that will connect my Playstation 1 to my AKG k701's for bedside listening at night. Any other recommendations are welcome of course.

ph34r.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 11
if youre using an adapter, i suppose it could be argued that the extra imperfect pressure connection could regrade quality

otherwise, imho, an unbalanced connection is an unbalanced connection
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 11
Doesnt matter, but if you are using an adaptor it will degrade the signal (very very minimal)

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 11
Only problem I can see (if you use a good adapter like the Grado one) is that mini jacks are easier to damage (according to what I overread Tyll saying on the Headroom sponsor board), the 1/4" ones are sturdier.

Still, a good adapter shouldn't make a negative difference.
smily_headphones1.gif
All the jacks in my system (inputs/outputs too) are minis.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 11
The problem with 1/4" to 1/8" adapters is the stress they put on the 1/8" jack. That's why grado and senn adapters have cable in between, so the strain is reduced.

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the insight. Someone did read it.
wink_face.gif

It is true that connections make a noticeable difference then. Higher quality adapters would make a better sounding rig. But i would say, if you can avoid it, just use 1/4'' plug at all times and dont adapt to 1/8'' plug.

devil_face.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 11
If you mean interconnects by 'connections', then yes. They make a difference.

Anyway I would get myself a little adapter WITH A CABLE. You'll put a lot of stress on the little sockets with an adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back