1.4k Budget, What To Get?
Aug 4, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #31 of 72
look at my sig... all for under 1400. and i doubt that there are any better sounding rigs for the $

maybe a headroom stack...but it can't upgrade since headroom has announced that this was their last generation of upgrades before completely changing the build of their amps/dacs.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
look at my sig... all for under 1400. and i doubt that there are any better sounding rigs for the $

maybe a headroom stack...but it can't upgrade since headroom has announced that this was their last generation of upgrades before completely changing the build of their amps/dacs.

Thats a pretty good rig. There you have it. but i suggest replacing the zhaolu piece of crap with storm digital.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #34 of 72
Screw you wallet over, dump your girlfriend, and buy an HP-2! I'm borrowing one right now and this can is seriously amazing, I don't remember it being this good. If you're thinking of buying cans within the price range of the W5000 the HP-2s are only a few hundred more
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunman_csz
Could you guys help me eliminate some of the phones recommended, or disagree about the choices, Phones recommended so far: SA5000/HD650/K701/BT880/AD2000/W5000/Rs-1/Sr-404

Based on what you've told me, I'd narrow it down to: K701 or AD2000.

SA5000: love it or hate it headphone, not a good idea to buy blindly

HD650: leans too far to the warm/dark side for the preferences you've put forth

DT880: excels in no particular area, more or less a cheaper alternative to the K701 with less bass and a slightly smaller soundstage

W5000: eats up too much of your budget, unless you go pretty cheap on the associated equipment. Also potential heat-build up issues in your climate.

SR404: with an amp, it eats up quite a bit of your budget, leaving not too much for source and cables; and it's a bit lacking bass impact for quite a bit of the music you've listed.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig
Thats a pretty good rig. There you have it. but i suggest replacing the zhaolu piece of crap with storm digital.

Because you've heard both right?

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Screw you wallet over, dump your girlfriend, and buy an HP-2! I'm borrowing one right now and this can is seriously amazing, I don't remember it being this good. If you're thinking of buying cans within the price range of the W5000 the HP-2s are only a few hundred more
biggrin.gif

If only I could, well the w5000 are tempting because from what I have heard they dont require expensive amps to sound good, on the other hand HP2 would require something like 1k+ amp to compete
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Based on what you've told me, I'd narrow it down to: K701 or AD2000.

SA5000: love it or hate it headphone, not a good idea to buy blindly

HD650: leans too far to the warm/dark side for the preferences you've put forth

DT880: excels in no particular area, more or less a cheaper alternative to the K701 with less bass and a slightly smaller soundstage

W5000: eats up too much of your budget, unless you go pretty cheap on the associated equipment. Also potential heat-build up issues in your climate.

SR404: with an amp, it eats up quite a bit of your budget, leaving not too much for source and cables; and it's a bit lacking bass impact for quite a bit of the music you've listed.

Thanks again for the info, but how would you rate a recabled balanced hd650/zu and what about rs-1
smily_headphones1.gif
?

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

If only I could, well the w5000 are tempting because from what I have heard they dont require expensive amps to sound good, on the other hand HP2 would require something like 1k+ amp to compete
frown.gif

They sound damn good even out of my Head5! These cans make almost any source/amp sound good, it just goes from good to great to excellent with different pairings
biggrin.gif
. Haven't heard the W5000 though.

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #41 of 72
Where can I buy the Grado Hp2 from? are they discontinued? where they limited edition? what is thier retail price?
Can any one can compare Hp2 to other phones listed in the Recommendation.

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Thanks again for the info, but how would you rate a recabled balanced hd650/zu and what about rs-1
smily_headphones1.gif
?

A Balanced HD650/Zu would be among the best sounding options, assuming you can afford a balanced amp and good enough source on your budget (I've not heard them from the Lavry's XLR outs but that is supposed to be pretty good). I loved the RS1 when I owned them, on about 25% of my recordings, the rest of the time, their colorations were just too blatant, and what was initially exciting became annoying over time.

Quote:

Where can I buy the Grado Hp2 from? are they discontinued? where they limited edition? what is thier retail price?
Can any one can compare Hp2 to other phones listed in the Recommendation.

They haven't been made in 10 years, and were around $400 back then, but generally command in excess of $1000 nowadays. They're excellent sounding headphones, but hard to find, expensive, likely becoming more difficult to get repaired, and have classic Grado comfort (i.e. lack thereof). I don't think they're a wise investment on your budget.

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #44 of 72
I would buy the Senn HD-650 w/ Upgrade Cable ($450), Maxed PPA amp w/ STEPS and Diamond Buffer ($400 used), and spend the remaining $550 on a good used source. You can get a used Sony DVP-9000ES for about that price.

Here are my reason for picking these three:

1) Senn HD-650 w/ Upgrade cable: The HD-650 will continue to get better and better w/ each upgrade. The HD-650 w/ Zu or SD sound very good out of my PPA and sound great out of my SDS. You can futher upgrade the HD-650 by running them balanced when money is permitted.

2) Maxed PPA amp: An excellent amp at an excellent price. I compared my Maxed PPA against the Sundgen Headmaster and the Headroom Max (2002) model and thought that the PPA was atleast as good as the Max and a step better than the Headmaster. People tend to forget how good this amp really is. The audiomoded SCD-777ES was used a source and I still keep my PPA until this day.

3)Sony DVP-9000ES: Typical highend Sony unit, great sound at a reasonable price. When you have more fund, you can get the modification done from VSE (Vacumn State Electronic). The stock Sony should sound very good in redbook and gret in SACD. You also get a reference level DVD player to boot!

P.S. I can't recommend the Zhaolu DAC as I don't think it will be as good as the 9000ES. I compared my modded Zhaolu to the my Toshiba SD-9200 in the past, and I prefer the Toshiba. Couple of years ago, I also owned these combo and I was very happy with my purchased until I listened to the Singlepower SDS amp and Cary 306 player.

Aug 4, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #45 of 72
@OP: are you sure there aren't any audiophile communities in your region? Even Malaysia has a sizeable audiophile community atm
cool.gif
I would try to attend a meet before deciding on any of the suggested setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back