1/4 to 1/8 inch Jack Conversion
Nov 15, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

And, should I bother with a portable amp? Because it seems like too much to carry around to be portable...

It's a good question. Personally I use IEMs with my itouch and I don't want to strap an amp to it as it ruins the form factor.
If you use very sensitive headphones you should be fine.
Those headphones you linked to don't look to be very sensitive though. Notice that they are rated to handle 1600mW, but your mp3 player can only output a max of 32mW into 16 ohms. That means it can probably output about 8mW into 60 ohms (that's the impedance of your headphones). So I think you're really under powering them.
For good sound with an mp3 player try Yuins, Shures, or Etymotics.

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 7
First of all thank you for the quick feedback.

I looked at the brands you mentioned, but all of them appear to be standard in-ear headphones.

Though they probably produce great sound, my reason for choosing studio headphones instead of the smaller types, was very simple: the cord.

I've owned many smaller headphones, and no matter how durable the PHONES are, the cord always manages to weaken at certain areas over-time and eventually loses transmission ability.

So I was looking into getting studio headphones, due to their increased thickness in cords.

I know that Sony is probably an obvious or bad brand, but I was looking at this pair from Sony, because it included the correct jack for my media player, along with a very durable cord, and the ability to fold the phones up for travel.

I also read some reviews saying they were durable:

Sony MDR-V900HD Headphones - In Stock at OneCall.com

However, these too may not be sensitive enough for my media player...so any advice for my issue would be appreciated.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 7
Today I read a long review about the best headphones for mp3 players, and I like this pair the best.

AKG K271MKII

This issue is, AKG K271MKII doesn't have a nice super-durable cord, and they can't fold up for storage.

But the pair does allow you to replace the cord if it dies, and they are supposedly both comfortable and durable.

Any thoughts on which would be best?

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 7
First, headphone preference is VERY personal. One person will praise the AKG271 the next can't stand them (I'm in the later camp- yes out of an mp3 player). My best advice is to purchase a few different pairs from a company like headroom with a generous return policy, demo them in the privacy of your home (after burn-in) and make your decision. Just remember to return the other phones in like-new condition.

As far as 1/8 to 1/4 adapters, Grado makes one (I own two) that are VERY high quality. Headroom also carries these.

In terms of purchasing a separate amp, it really depends. I personally believe, and many here agree, that amplifying the headphone out signal from an mp3 player does not increase its quality- but it DOES increase how loud it can play. Whether this is necessary depends on the sensitivity of the headphone you choose.

Now, there are other reasons for purchasing a separate amp, such as left/right channel blending offered by companies like Headroom and Meier. Others, like iBasso offer bass boost and other noise shaping enhancements that audiophiles (myself included) tend to snub their noses at- not totally without reason.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by PuffyElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as 1/8 to 1/4 adapters, Grado makes one (I own two) that are VERY high quality.

X2 (I own four)
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuffyElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of purchasing a separate amp, it really depends.

IMHO, ipod + LOD + dynamic cans (e.g. HD25)/dynamic IEMs (e.g.C751), a decent portable amp will generate more detail, punch, balance and soundstage.

With armature (e.g. TF10, SE530) an amp makes less of a difference though YMMV
smile_phones.gif

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back