1/4" to 1/8" cable adapter under $100
Oct 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jimbobwey

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a 1/4" to 1/8" cable adapter for my Audio Technica W5000's that looks good but doesn't cost upwards to $100-$200. All I ask for is a quality, good looking cable to match a beautiful pair of headphones. Can a fellow Head-fier help me out? Thanks!

p.s. The Grado adapter looks cheap, but I'm well aware that it works for the price.

-Jimbobwey

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 19
So even the ruddy adapters have to have visual flair these days? Does it really make that much difference?
I would say either just buy the Grado one or make your own. Either will be cost-effective and completely functional, as long as you know how to use a soldering iron.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 19
ALO Audio makes these for $165 apiece, although I'm not sure exactly what qualifies as "good-looking" to you.

Edit: Didn't read the price point properly. Sorry.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 19
It's probably not worth dropping serious cash over, no matter how pretty the cable looks. A few inches of solid silver wire won't make any difference unless you've wired your W5000 with it as well. Just get/make an adapter (preferably for less than $15) and it will magically sound exactly the same as the $150 adapter.

Trust me, I'm a physicist.
wink.gif

Physics knowledge and cable beliefs are mutually exclusive. It's a fact.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 19
I'll trust your physicist title and probably end up buying http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601983-REG/Sennheiser_092595_1_8_Mini_Plug_to.html

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask some Head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks JoetheArachnid

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 19
Wise choice, young Padawan. Now put all that cash you saved by resisting the expensive pieces of wire towards new amps or cans; Physics shows that they DO make a difference... sometimes.

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
I'll trust your physicist title and probably end up buying http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601983-REG/Sennheiser_092595_1_8_Mini_Plug_to.html

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask some Head-fiers
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks JoetheArachnid

You have done the right thing Jimbobwey!

That Sennheiser adaptor will perform just as well as those ones being sold for ten times the price.

Those ones being sold for very high prices probably didn't cost much more than the Sennheiser one to make anyway.

Remember that the electricity flowing through your plugs and cables etc. doesn't actually know if they have a designer label or what-have-you
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 19
I bought the $22 Cardas one from HeadRoom.

But balancing the W5000 worked better.

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 19
If I had so much money I didn't know what to do with it, I'd probably order cables from Qables. Sadly, I'm working a minimum wage job about to enter the Coast Guard so I'll stick with the cheapo price.

Well, unless someone has free money to give me that is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 19
Its a cable, unless your going super duper high end then get what your comfortable with. When I bought my Grado's I just got the extension and adapter that were Grado brand too. I would not agree with your comment about looking cheap. The Grado adapter is very heavy duty and much better looking then the Senn. I've seen both in person.  I believe that the Senn adapter cable is the same one the HD650 comes with. I would rather spend the difference on amps, dac, headphones....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back