1/4 Jack to 1/8 jack?
Feb 19, 2008 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

-xXTecno-AltXx-

New Head-Fier
Hey, I recently changed my headphones to the Grado SR 225's and im looking to walk around with my cd player and the headphones pumping my music,

One problem- When i got them the jack is 1/4 inch and wont fit in any of my players.

Would getting a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch converter hurt the sound quality?

Feb 19, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 33
Don't worry about it. What I can suggest is that you get one with a little bit of cable, otherwise there will be too much physical stress on your cd players jack. You don't have to worry about any losses of quality or power at all.. they're too small to be picked up by the system or by you
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 33
Yes, definately get the Grado adapter. If you go with the Ratshack adapter, you'll end up with a 5 inch plug making it that much less portable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry about it. What I can suggest is that you get one with a little bit of cable, otherwise there will be too much physical stress on your cd players jack. You don't have to worry about any losses of quality or power at all.. they're too small to be picked up by the system or by you
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #12 of 33
A 1/4 to 1/8 adapter is A BLACK HOLE of pwer-sucking!
Avoid at all costs!
All your power are belong to us!
not.
If I need to use an adapter, I use the Grado one. Works great.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avoid at all costs!
not.

Oh man. I guess it's a sign of how much sleep you get when it takes you three readings to get the satire in that.

On the subject of adaptors, a good quality one like Grado shouldn't change the sound perceptibly. Also, I'd suggest not re-terminating your nice Grados. With your current source equipment, having a 1/4"->1/8" adapter is less of an issue than it will be if you end up with a higher-end source/amp setup down the line (which would use the 1/4" plug). Stick with the 1/4" and use a good adaptor like the Grado.

Feb 21, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by InertKinesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man. I guess it's a sign of how much sleep you get when it takes you three readings to get the satire in that.

That made me smile -- trying to imagine what was going through your mind, during the first two readings....
eek.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Avoid at all costs!
not.

Actually it will permanently alter the listening experience for the worse...

...IF you're a BAT !!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back