1/4" headphone jack :\
Nov 8, 2005 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

grandcross

New Head-Fier
So I recently bought the Alessandro MS-1s without bothering to see the "mini-plug" adaptor selection. A week later, I get my Alessandros and there comes the mammoth-sized 1/4" headphone jack. Well, I can't plug this thing into anything!

Is there a 1/4" to 1/8" jack available, or must I send the Alessandros back?

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 21
there are plenty available, in fact your local Radio shack might have one if your desperate.

other choices include the GRADO one or many others

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

there are plenty available, in fact your local Radio shack might have one if your desperate.

just don't use the Radio shack or other solid adapter with a portable if you value it.
All that weight/stress right at the jack will wreck it

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 21
The Grado adapter works very well. I love it because I can leave it in my source (typically my desktop pc) and switch out my headphones at the adapter rather than at the source itself.

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 21
Assuming that you're in the USA, you can order an adaptor from http://shop.sennheiserusa.com . Just do a search for part number 92595. This adaptor uses a 2-piece design, like the Grado adaptor, so it won't put any additional strain on your headphone jack like the Ratshack variety.

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 21
4202559l.jpg

+
2740875l.jpg

=
same as grado/sennheiser's and it has a 90 elbow and inline volume adjuster!
Both can be purchased at any Ratshack.

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandcross
Damn, thats a bit expensive for that. But it'll probably have to do then to deal with the hassle of sending them back.

Expensive? That's dirt CHEAP my friend. Once you get more technical and start getting to the point where interconnects and adapters suddenly become important; that's when you'll realize that $15 is nothing compared to $200... Or maybe its common sense as well as long as you know what's out there...
blink.gif
Otherwise you can kiss your signal quality goodbye.

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 21
wouldnt using a small crappy adapter defeat the purpose of having the big nice cord on the ms-1's? i mean wouldn't this have a negative impact on the sound quality?
i would go for the grado adapter

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
Or maybe its common sense as well as long as you know what's out there...
blink.gif
Otherwise you can kiss your signal quality goodbye.

Common sense would suggest that aftermarket cables are nothing but snake oil. Scientific data says the same thing, but what good as science done for our society?
rolleyes.gif

$15 for an adapter is a little pricey, but those aren't exactly mass produced and in high demand. You're better off with a RatShack adapter for the price, just make sure you get one that isn't "solid" as a previous poster mentioned, they put far too much stress on both the plug and the jack.

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
Common sense would suggest that aftermarket cables are nothing but snake oil. Scientific data says the same thing, but what good as science done for our society?
rolleyes.gif

Too add to that, take a look at this:
cmoy2_15.jpg

Can you imagine any thinner wiring your audio source must travel through?! Think about having water going through a sewer pipe (thick interconnects) then forced through a garden hose (inside the amplifier). Why would it matter how thick the cables are as long as they are properly shielded and not 50ft long?

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MasZakrY
Can you imagine any thinner wiring your audio source must travel through?! Think about having water going through a sewer pipe (thick interconnects) then forced through a garden hose (inside the amplifier). Why would it matter how thick the cables are as long as they are properly shielded and not 50ft long?

The bottleneck argument is flawed because resistence has many factors. Length of the conductor, width (wire gauge in our case), material of the conductor and temperature. Pushing a signal through a small piece of wire is NOT like pushing a sewer line's water through a garden hose. You also have to take into account the voltage and current, both of which are rather insignificant in audio (unless you get into very high powered speakers or PA systems).

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #15 of 21
I use the Rat Shack one on my HF-1s, on the basis that it's basically a solid piece of gold-plated metal in a plastic sheath and therefore can't possibly hurt the sound quality. I'm plugging it into an amp that never moves, though, I'd agree that the combined weight of the chunky Grado plug and the adapter would make it a bad thing to plug into your portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back