1,000 Posts and...
Oct 20, 2007 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

spraggih

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow I just made it to the 1000 post plateau and I don't feel no ways different.

I thought maybe there would be a pop-up on the 1,000th post or the ability to add a real cool tag line or claim near my avatar. Maybe I should change my avatar as a sign?

After 1,000 posts I do not feel too much more Head-fi intelligent than when I started. I understand a little more about electrical engineering and have moved from a Sony earbud (don't ask) now to retired headphones (CD3000, W11JPN) and have bought items head-fiers, companies in Italy, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, South Africa and of course the good ole US of A.

I think Head-fi is like taking a walk -- you can take 4th Street and walk down it for what can seem a lifetime-- you can walk up and down the road back and forth and know it perfectly. But then there is 5th Street and Broad Street and Huntingpark Avenue and Billows Road and the like so you may garner expertise in 4th Street but no so little about all the other roads.

Anyway, since it was my 1,000 post I decided to post in the Member's Lounge area. Since I was adding a thread (have not done that lately)-- I went to the root area of the General Discussion forum. In it I noticed a lot of stickies-- there are a lot of rules here on Head-fi and I can see we break them often:

a) Do not ask/post about a locked thread (by posting this am I asking/posting about locked threads?!)

b) No thread bumping except for F/S threads. (wow that one is broken all the time)

c) No religious or political posts (I suppose you could talk about religious music-- but in any resolve are there really no posts on political issues, etc? what qualifies as political? Healthcare is essentially a political issue in the US/the States- could someone post about it? GOING OT here...)

Back on topic.

Well the run has been great here and the only thing I am truly tempted to consider is:

a) Trying some really cool open phones-- but they would have to be really cool sounding because too much leaking gets me into discussions and funny looks from my family. Maybe Qualias would be cool-- never heard them before but some really super resolving phones would be great.

b) Buy the L3000s or R10s. I know, nuff said.

c) Swap out my DAC and try some others or some really high-end ones. But with my headphones would I really notice a difference? I wonder.

d) Really get a super uper duper high-end speaker system. I have a home theater with Mirage speakers (7.1 setup) with a very large projection screen. But given the room is so large and sound dampening is not great the audio sound quality is not the best-- I cannot hear the details I hear on my headphones.

In terms of head-fi I wonder how much is left for me. But given head-fi.org is branching out (Gear-fi, blogging, other new stuff to come) I imagine the hobby will be intact for me until post #2,000.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 19
So many words!
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 19
spraggih, there are so many items out there and new ones coming out all the time that it is very hard to see/test all of them. So for me the more I try, the more there is to see and hear out there. I guess I will never hear that much gear since I would have to do it 24 hours a day and spend a lot of money.
blink.gif
Neither of which I have!
icon10.gif

As a result I feel I am barely scratching the surface.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 19
I'm feelin 1K in a day or so... congrats!

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #12 of 19
to everyone...

Thanks for the kind & encouraging words.

There is another ongoing thread 'It's clear your a Head-Fier when...' ... I think it's when you are surprised there is no Head-fi.org pension plan. I mean for all the work we put it a person would expect nothing less
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 19
Welcome to Club K1K Henry! Just reached the milestone a week or so ago too. Funny you should mention the pension plan....I filed my tax returns a few weeks ago and tried to slip in Head-Fi - let's see what they say about it
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 19
Hey Carmel,

Congrats to you also! A little OT but how did the L3000s sound? Another head-fier lent you a pair right?

Re: pension-- maybe we will have fond memories to spend in our twilight years
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back