$1,000 Microphone
Nov 1, 2004 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JohnFerrier

1000+ Head-Fier
An interesting internal pic of an AKG C 414 microphone (those certainly aren't Blackgate capacitors...)...

image1079363630_c414b_xls_4055c82d17a50.jpg

Recording Engineer, Mark Hawley uses three C 414's to mic Tori Amos's Bösendorfer grand piano.

tori4.jpg

And a Neumann KMS 150 (or two) for vocals.

JF

Nov 2, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #3 of 17
hey the actuall mic part looks alot like the inside of the K1000 lol

AKG makes very very nice mics...

all those round cans look like regular electrolytics to me... the giant black one on one side looks like some sort of coil? choke perhaps?

dunno...

Nov 2, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcaps
I believe that those cylindrical things aren't caps, but FETs. All the caps are SMDs. Definitely a nice mic.

Unless if you were refering to the SMDs.

Those are solid alluminium caps, like Sanyo Os-Con, the SMD type of Os-Con.

Nov 2, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by neueziel
I can do some serious kareokeing on that thing..

It allows you to hear how bad people really sound without some nasty distortion to smoothen their voice and lighten the load on listeners
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

those certainly aren't Blackgate capacitors...

No, but they probably are low-ESR computer grade caps. Not too shabby.

Nov 2, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 17
They looked like "run of the mill" caps to me, but maybe you're right they are low ESR. Regardless, they do use several of them and they are nicely spread around the circuit. I'm sure there are also smaller ones not seen in the picture.

(The comment about the mic looking like the inside of K1000 headphones was funny.)

JF

Nov 2, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
The comment about the mic looking like the inside of K1000 headphones was funny.

i just replaced the cable on my K1000's a few days ago and it really does kinda resemble the inside of the K1000 i swear
wink.gif

its the same concept tho i guess, floating element to isolate it from any vibration/noise...

Nov 2, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 17
Just because it's expensive, doesn't mean everything is top of the line. Maybe they decided it wasn't worth the extra money, maybe they decided there wasn't any improvement, I dunno.

I do know that the enginner at the studio on campus loves upgrading his microphones, caps being a favourite target. I don't know if ti actually makes any difference, but he thinks it does and you can't really argue with the results (his recordings sound really good).

Nov 2, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft
Just because it's expensive

$1000 for a mic isnt that expensive

some of the "Blue" mics are like $3000 easy, without preamps or cables

Nov 2, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 17
$1000 IS expensive. Just because you can spend more doens't mean it's not expensive. It's also expensive as in that they can afford to use good parts. If something is $50, you pretty much have to cut every corner you can, since profit is goign to be razor thin. If something is $1000, you can afford to spend some money on secondary features and still make plenty.

It's just like speakers. $2,000 speakers are expensive speakers, regardless of the fact that there are $50,000 speakers out there. $50,000 speakers are just more expensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycraft
$1000 IS expensive. Just because you can spend more doens't mean it's not expensive. It's also expensive as in that they can afford to use good parts. If something is $50, you pretty much have to cut every corner you can, since profit is goign to be razor thin. If something is $1000, you can afford to spend some money on secondary features and still make plenty.

It's just like speakers. $2,000 speakers are expensive speakers, regardless of the fact that there are $50,000 speakers out there. $50,000 speakers are just more expensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

im not saying i would spend $1k on a mic... the most expensive mic i own is a $100 condenser mic...

but chances are, if you are a signed artist, or some huge-mega studio... $5k for a mic is nothing to them

and as a note, you can get them for $750 new on ebay lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back