07 Micro Amps vs. other modules.
Jan 26, 2008 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Joelc87

100+ Head-Fier
Since the new lineup of micro amps doesn't really use the other amp modules per sé I was wondering how the new Micro and Ultra Micro amps compare to other modules/amps in the Headroom line. Particularly, "Would the Ultra Micro amp really sound as good as a Max amp if plugged into the DPS?" If not is the Ultra Micro's SQ better than most of the other amps since it essentially has the Max electronics? Ex. would it sound better than the Home and Desktop amps at least? I guess Tyll if you make a response to this could you just list the Headroom Amps in order of increasing SQ. I'm kinda curious I guess. I have an Ultra Micro and I love the little thing to death, but am wanting another amp for more permanent home use as I have a large desk in my room. The Ultra Micro goes with me on trips and such (first thing to come out of my suitcase). Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the new lineup of micro amps doesn't really use the other amp modules per sé I was wondering how the new Micro and Ultra Micro amps compare to other modules/amps in the Headroom line. Particularly, "Would the Ultra Micro amp really sound as good as a Max amp if plugged into the DPS?" If not is the Ultra Micro's SQ better than most of the other amps since it essentially has the Max electronics? Ex. would it sound better than the Home and Desktop amps at least? I guess Tyll if you make a response to this could you just list the Headroom Amps in order of increasing SQ. I'm kinda curious I guess. I have an Ultra Micro and I love the little thing to death, but am wanting another amp for more permanent home use as I have a large desk in my room. The Ultra Micro goes with me on trips and such (first thing to come out of my suitcase). Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

OK. This is a bit complicated, but it's sort of my area so I'll have a crack at it...

Though there are no modules in the Micro line, the electronics themselves are equivalent to modules used in other lines, more or less.

The 07 Micro has electronics that are somewhere between a Desktop module and a Home module in terms of circuit design - pobably closer to Home module. The output transistors are top of the line though, unlike any 'modules' except for the Max module.

The 07 Ultra Micro has the same electronics design and components as a Max Module. There may be some slight differences in biasing to accomodate heat in the small space, though there may not - HR will have to confirm that.

Will an Ultra Micro sound as good as Max if you run it using a DPS? No. There are a few reasons for this. Firstly, the DPS is a smilar supply to that used in the Home and Max lines, however is a single power supply for both channels of audio. In the Home and Max amps, there are dual supplies for separation of the left and right channels right back to the power connector.

Secondly, there is much less capacticance on the power input in the Micro (as you can see from those 4 small caps in the photos - compare with the final row of caps nearest the module in a Home or Max). The quality of these caps is significantly improved in the Max amp itself as well, though these two points together account for only a relatively small difference.

The quality of the volume potentiometer is much lower in the Micro, not by intentionally trying to select a bad one, but by the limits of size. The little alps pot in there is actually the best in its size class, but is less transparent than the larger continuous potentiometers and particularly the standard Stepped Attenuator in the Max.

I would also hazard a small guess that with the thinner panels and more condensed circuitry in the little Micro, it will be a little less immune to RFI and other environmental problems than a Home or Max, though that's really grasping at straws a bit.

How much of a difference does that add up to? You'd really have to sit them side by side and decide for yourself, but the differences will be small but detectable. For the price difference, I'd say they would be surprisingly close.

And if you really want a HR sound quality line up, here's my opinion:

(assuming a DPS as power supply where appropriate...)

Micro -> Desktop w/Home Module -> Ultra Micro -> Desktop w/Max Module -> Home with Max Module -> Max

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will an Ultra Micro sound as good as Max if you run it using a DPS? No. There are a few reasons for this. Firstly, the DPS is a smilar supply to that used in the Home and Max lines, however is a single power supply for both channels of audio. In the Home and Max amps, there are dual supplies for separation of the left and right channels right back to the power connector.

Secondly, there is much less capacticance on the power input in the Micro (as you can see from those 4 small caps in the photos - compare with the final row of caps nearest the module in a Home or Max). The quality of these caps is significantly improved in the Max amp itself as well, though these two points together account for only a relatively small difference.

Sloth, so would the $400 DPS be a noticeable upgrade for the Ultra Micro Amp and DAC or would it be best to save the money and stick with the Brick Supply? or spend the $200 on the Switching Supplies?

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sloth, so would the $400 DPS be a noticeable upgrade for the Ultra Micro Amp and DAC or would it be best to save the money and stick with the Brick Supply? or spend the $200 on the Switching Supplies?

Get the DPS. Simple!

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 15
Ok so what about the Ultra compared to other amps out there? IMO I think it sounds better than any other amps I've heard in its price range. Better detail, impact, soundstage, the crossfeed is excellent. IMHO great amp for the money and especially size.

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

And if you really want a HR sound quality line up, here's my opinion:

(assuming a DPS as power supply where appropriate...)

Micro -> Desktop w/Home Module -> Ultra Micro -> Desktop w/Max Module -> Home with Max Module -> Max

Hi TheSloth,

I recently purchased an Ultra Micro DAC that I'm using with a Hornet amp and a MacBook Pro as a source. I'm playing flac files on the MacBook Pro through the optical out. I'm just using this at home, not portable.

I'm thinking of getting trying the Ultra Micro Amp. I also am wondering what might sound and/or work better for me. I guess the other question I have is where do you think the Balanced Desktop with DAC would fit in?

Thanks,

Buddy

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 15
This is just a rough estimation but I would assume the Balanced Desktop amp would be at least on par with the Maxxed out Desktop. I've only heard a balanced setup once but it's amazingly vivid and well...balanced. I don't know how else to explain it everything just sounds so perfect. Keep in mind you'd have to recable all your headphones and get balanced sources to fully take advantage of the balanced amp/headphone setup. Personally I love the Ultra Micro. IMHO it's definitely one of the best amps you can get for less than $1K. Nice and vivid but warm sounding too. I'm sure that changes with what headphones you're listening to it with as well. I use Shure SE530's most of the time. Sometimes I'll give my ear canals a break though and use the Grado SR-60s and while they have a completely different sound signature they still sound excellent. I really love Headroom's crossfeed. It really just opens up the soundstage.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BudmanNC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi TheSloth,

I recently purchased an Ultra Micro DAC that I'm using with a Hornet amp and a MacBook Pro as a source. I'm playing flac files on the MacBook Pro through the optical out. I'm just using this at home, not portable.

I'm thinking of getting trying the Ultra Micro Amp. I also am wondering what might sound and/or work better for me. I guess the other question I have is where do you think the Balanced Desktop with DAC would fit in?

Thanks,

Buddy

The Balanced Desktop with Home modules has a different, but equally good sound as a standard Desktop with Max modules IMO, after some time comparing them. Once you are comparing balanced with single ended, things get a bit tricky, partly because the amount of improvement you will get depends on your headphones (general wisdom is 650's improve the most). So, for example, whilst I wouldn't hesitate to say that the Max module is clearly better sounding than the Home module, but with balanced drive, a balanced set of Home modules is up there with single ended Max modules but with a slightly different signature.

I'd put it like this:

Micro -> Desktop w/Home Module -> Ultra Micro -> (Desktop w/Max Module)/(Balanced Desktop w/Home Module) -> Home with Max Module -> Max -> Balanced Home with Max Module -> Balanced Max

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

The Balanced Desktop with Home modules has a different, but equally good sound as a standard Desktop with Max modules IMO, after some time comparing them. Once you are comparing balanced with single ended, things get a bit tricky, partly because the amount of improvement you will get depends on your headphones (general wisdom is 650's improve the most). So, for example, whilst I wouldn't hesitate to say that the Max module is clearly better sounding than the Home module, but with balanced drive, a balanced set of Home modules is up there with single ended Max modules but with a slightly different signature.

I'd put it like this:

Micro -> Desktop w/Home Module -> Ultra Micro -> (Desktop w/Max Module)/(Balanced Desktop w/Home Module) -> Home with Max Module -> Max -> Balanced Home with Max Module -> Balanced Max

Thanks,

I have 580's at the moment. I'm hoping they would do fairly well with balanced cables.

Buddy

Feb 3, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelc87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah you guys should offer him a job or something....

No way! Offer a steady job to a working musician!? You want I should ruin his career?

Our dear Sloth had 15 guys move his piano up to his apartment in NY City, that's how serious a player he is. (Pretty sure he's doing way better in his gig than I could do for him, too.)

Thanks, Daniel.
wave.gif

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our dear Sloth had 15 guys move his piano up to his apartment in NY City, that's how serious a player he is. (Pretty sure he's doing way better in his gig than I could do for him, too.)
wave.gif

And in a few weeks they will be carrying it out again... bye bye NY!

But, about that job, you never know, might be fun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back