'06 micro dac vs. new ultra dac?
Dec 1, 2007 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wsilvio

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently using an '06 micro dac with a gilmore lite, and am curious how much of an upgrade the ultra dac would be? Thanks,

will

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently using an '06 micro dac with a gilmore lite, and am curious how much of an upgrade the ultra dac would be? Thanks,

will

I have the same setup and hope someone will chime in that owns the Ultra.

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 20
I owned the 2006 microdac for about 3 weeks. I ended up sending it back and preordering the ulra microdac. I've had it for about a month now, and I will confirm that yes, it owns the 2006 microdac.

Its a great little box. Terrific buy on my part, I must admit. I'm even selling my cherished monica 2 because I know I won't use it much anymore.

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm even selling my cherished monica 2 because I know I won't use it much anymore.

Having heard both the Monica II and also the MAX dac I'd have to agree wholeheartedly, not a fair comparison at all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I upgraded my '06 Microdac board to the '07 board (non Ultra) and it was a terrific investment.

Can you provide more info on how you upgraded? I wasn't aware that Headroom offers 06 Micro DAC owners to upgrade.

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you provide more info on how you upgraded? I wasn't aware that Headroom offers 06 Micro DAC owners to upgrade.

Neither am I. I'd like to hear about that.

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 20
I had a '06 regular Microdac and Mike swapped out the board only for the regular '07 Microdac several months ago. Perhaps
it was not a standard upgrade.

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 20
Wow, let us know if it's something the rest of us can take advantage of!

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 20
It sounds like this may have been a trial by Mike to see if it works. There was some strong stipulations with the new board and the old Microdac such as, if you put batteries in it,
it will malfunction severely. I hope no one is disappointed if this turns out to have been a one time only trial.

Dec 4, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope no one is disappointed if this turns out to have been a one time only trial.

Yeah, and Mike wouldn't get in any trouble neither. He really works hard to keep peoples gear coming in and out. I asked him about it today; didn't remember what it was about. He did say though that he'd done a couple of op-amp upgrades for some reason or other.

I'll tell you another one about Mike: He gets iRiver husks of eBay for a dime and mix and matches them and builds working units. Heck of a tech.

Man, I hope I just didn't get him in trouble with a PM box of people asking if he's got some. Eeek!
eek.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #14 of 20
Mike is the reason I bought my Ultra microdac after sending back my microdac. He went above and beyond my expectations and worked with my unique circumstances. Because of this, I have become a loyal customer of headroom. I plan to make all of my further purchases with you, and send my friends.

I hope mike got a nice xmas bonus.

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope mike got a nice xmas bonus.

Believe me, there's a lot of folks desrving of a nice Christmas bonus here. And I plan to make it hurt just a bit handing them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back