0404 vs. 1212M
Jan 13, 2006 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Medikit

100+ Head-Fier
So I just got some Shure E4c's and I was listening on my home computer and I noticed that there is an awful background hiss. Apparently the SB Audigy that I bought 3 years ago kind of sucks. Had I known about this forum back then I probably would have realized that. Anyways, I don't do a lot in the way of audio other than simply listening to music. I also don't have much extra cash. Does this make the 0404 the best choice for me? I probably won't have enough money to buy an amp until after I do a summer research internship.

So I have two questions:

How does the 0404 unamped sound?

What reasons are good reasons to choose the 1212M?
I heard that the 1212M was more accurate vs. the 0404's tight and punchy. I listen primarily to Classical music and rock, but I'm not really sure what Tight and punchy even means.

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
"Assuming I find the cash what amp goes best with the 0404/1212M?"

i haven't heard of anyone deciding their amp based on their source

I said it that way but I didn't mean it that way. Anyways, it doesn't look like I will be having enough money for one so I guess I'm pretty much looking for a good unamped sound card.

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
"Assuming I find the cash what amp goes best with the 0404/1212M?"

i haven't heard of anyone deciding their amp based on their source

but it is the wisest thing
did you happen to read about choosing source basing on the amp ? or what ?

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
So I just got some Shure E4c's and I was listening on my home computer and I noticed that there is an awful background hiss. Apparently the SB Audigy that I bought 3 years ago kind of sucks. Had I known about this forum back then I probably would have realized that. Anyways, I don't do a lot in the way of audio other than simply listening to music. I also don't have much extra cash. Does this make the 0404 the best choice for me? I probably won't have enough money to buy an amp until after I do a summer research internship.

So I have two questions:

How does the 0404 unamped sound?

What reasons are good reasons to choose the 1212M?
I heard that the 1212M was more accurate vs. the 0404's tight and punchy. I listen primarily to Classical music and rock, but I'm not really sure what Tight and punchy even means.

the main reason for choosing a 1212m over the 0404 is to have a more smooth clean and refined sound .
So if you are about classical and refinement maybe it's better you stay with the 1212m which is a very good choice , this if you can afford the extra price .
imo the sound difference ( for headphone listening ) is ust another " worth 100$ ?" difference , the 0404 and the 1212m sound different .. but not much in the way that one's better and the other is worse .. more in the way that one is more fun while the other is more refined .

You have this option , get a 0404 and have it modified later for a more precise and clean sound . btw the 0404 doesn't sound dirt -at all .

Some say the 1212m is in a class of some nice class cd player ( Meridians for ex. ) ; I haven't listened to a Meridian still .

Jan 15, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
the main reason for choosing a 1212m over the 0404 is to have a more smooth clean and refined sound .
So if you are about classical and refinement maybe it's better you stay with the 1212m which is a very good choice , this if you can afford the extra price .
imo the sound difference ( for headphone listening ) is not a 100$ difference , the 0404 and the 1212m sound different .. but not much in the way that one's better and the other worse .. more in the way that one is more fun while the other is more refined .

You have this option , get a 0404 and have it modified later for a more precise and clean sound . btw the 0404 doesn't sound dirt -at all .

Some say the 1212m apporach some nice class cd player ( Meridians for ex. ) ; I haven't listened to a Meridian still .

Cool, thanks. Btw I never thought I would be taking advice from someone with a sexy michelle avatar, it must be the end of days.

Jan 15, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 8
I've owned a stock 0404, modded 0404 (output caps bypassed, opamps replaced with AD8620s) and now a 1212m. The stock 0404 was quite awesome, with what I would call slightly boosted bass & treble with a slightly lacking midrange. With the mods, the card was much better, but ended up being too bright for me. The AD8620s definately cleared the sound up and brought the detail in. It was like hearing through a microscope, definately a revealing source..

The brightness led to fatigue with my system at the time (non-Grado), so I traded it for a stock 1212m. The 1212m seems to be much more neutral, but can also seem boring depending on your amp & cans. It is more detailed than the 0404 in the midrange, and lacks the sometimes bloated bass of the 0404. Next step is to get the 1212m modded
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back