0404 USB w/ Vista -> sound goes mute?
Apr 23, 2008 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

warpdriver

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the 0404 installed under Vista and I have this problem that it just stops working. After a while, no more sound comes out of it and I'll have to reset it. It might happen after I play some MOV files or visit a webpage with sound/flash. If I cycle the power, it becomes ok.

Has anybody heard of this problem?

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 0404 installed under Vista and I have this problem that it just stops working. After a while, no more sound comes out of it and I'll have to reset it. It might happen after I play some MOV files or visit a webpage with sound/flash. If I cycle the power, it becomes ok.

Has anybody heard of this problem?

Meh, I've been having substantial problems similar to yours using E-MU 1616 under Vista...to the extent that I pretty much gave up on that thing. I bet you are having similar issues because the drivers are not very good.

Apr 23, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Do you have service pack 1 installed? because sp1 messed up a bit my e-mu 0404 usb drivers. Prior to sp1, when I selected 44.1 khz or 48khz on e-mu control panel,it would properly set it to 24 bit 44.1khz/48hkz on windows control panel,sound options and would resample everything to that sample rate. Now I have to set manually both windows control panel's sound options' sample rate and e-mu control panel's sample rate.

There is no sound now if for example,windows sound options is set to 16 bit 44.1 khz and e-mu control panel set to 48 khz. I have no more 24 bit sound option for wdm/directsound, I have this option working only on asio supported applications. It is so annoying, I have to go to windows sound options too now beside e-mu control panel every time when I switch between watching dvds and listening music (when not in asio) to avoid resampling . But what worries me is that I have lost 24 bit option on directsound.

Prior to sp1,when I selected 44.1 khz on e-mu control panel,it would set Windows' own sound options' sample rate to 24 bit 44.1 khz. I hope E-MU releases a driver soon. What also worries me is that if the driver will expire on may. I have heard from many 1616m users using v2.0 drivers that their driver expired and that they can't use their sound card until the publish of a new driver.

Apr 24, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 12
yeah I have SP1 installed, but even preSP1, I was having problems with the dropping sound. I do see the same problem as you with setting the sample rate and such.

I'm getting ready to toss this thing (well, at least, box it up a for a while).....like MaloS said, it's gotta be the drivers.

Apr 25, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 12
Have you checked your system using DPC Latency Checker (google this name). If you find some trouble, just try to get rid of it since, E-MU USB (and maybe their other models too) does not like of some processes/drivers running on background. I had plenty of trouble w/ one dongle driver (IIRC, Sentinel).

You could also try by using ASIO driver mode as it sets the E-MU "driver" sample rate by the playback software settings -> no re-sampling needed to be done by Vista audio system if E-MU driver SR happens to be different from source SR or from software SR settings.

jutapa

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 12
yes I have the latest firmware/software. I don't have wireless

I reinstalled before and after SP1.

I turned off the "let applications have exclusive access to this device" in the properties and it's somewhat better but still locks up.

May 13, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #9 of 12
I'm having this problem too on 64-bit vista, all with latest drivers installed. Any progress, anybody?

The sound seems to go out most often when I'm watching internet videos, so my uneducated guess is that it might have something to do with flash player?

May 14, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 12
The 0404 USB's ASIO driver can only handle one stream at a time. Introduce another stream and the sound will cut out until you stop the original source. Solution: when you want to listen to multiple sound sources, use DirectSound instead of ASIO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back