0404 USB + Headfive + DT990 = Amazing!
Jul 13, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #18 of 25
GSurge, I'm going to have a similar setup to you. I have a 0404 coming on Monday, connecting to a HeadFive > DT880
smily_headphones1.gif

Can I ask what source you're using to connect to the 0404, is it a PC or a CDP?

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheba63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Someone on here said it only works with XP or higher. I then checked the requirements and they seemed to confirm what that person said.

The E-MU site says it's will work with OS X 10.4.3 or higher
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #22 of 25
I am listening to the 0404 connected to an iMac right now and it has worked flawlessly thru USB and toslink. I too have the 990s and they sing in this set-up. I even had the Headfive in this set-up at one point too. Liked it enough at the time, but have since liked almost every other amp to improve the sound more than the Headfive, even lower-priced portables! I know it is a little heretical, but the Total Airhead, for example, sounds fantastic in this set-up. It has wonderful dynamics and good bass punch and a huge amount of energy. Also, the iBasso P1 is very smooth, albeit a little more analytical than the Airhead in this configuration. The Yarland tube amp sounds warm and and round lovely too, but that would be more expected....

One interesting thing about the Emu is the way the "Main Output" can boost the level out to an amp. I have noticed no deterioration in quality even when pushing the output to max (not that I run it this way). The Emu seems to put out a lot juice for amps to work with. I have asked around about whether this means one can get away with a less powerful amp to drive higher impedance cans but haven't gotten a firm answer. However, when discussing the issue with Norm from GoVibe pertaining to my incoming purchase of a V6M he adjusted down the suggested gain when I sent him the specs on the EMU.

My impressions of the EMU hp jack are the same - good but a bit grainy. Powers the 990s well, but struggles with K701s. As for whether to upgrade the Marshmallows, I would think that after getting used to the 990s you are going to have trouble enjoying iems anywhere near Marshmallow price. I upgraded iems several times before, like about a trillion others, found happiness in the form of the ER4s.

Finally, glad to hear you are loving your set-up. ENJOY!

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 25
Yah, hey that's interesting about your question in regards to the emu. I've been trying to get answers to a similar question. I use a novation x station phones out to power my 990's. Just putting it to half way makes the 990's really loud and the sq is great. They sound fine to me. I don't know if an amp will help much. Now if I'm plugging into my zune that's a different story.

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #24 of 25
I also have an E-MU 0404 USB. This is my first DAC and so far, I am extremely happy. Last night, I could not take my headphones off. I listened to "Concierto De Aranjuez" 15 times-He!He! If you are a hi-fi novice like me, the E-MU is an very good first purchase.
I am using the AKG K81DJ and I am going mad waiting for my Denon 2000 and my Xin Supermicro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back