0404 usb and HD650? Is the amp in it THAT good?
Mar 31, 2007 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

makasin

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! I am reading some good things about the EMU 0404 for the HD650 because it has a more aggressive edge to it that many like (and I am sure I will), but I am curious as to just how good the amp is in it. Does this mean I wont need my Gilmore Lite? It for sure wont beat that will it? I guess the only way to know is to try it out and see for myself, but I am just curious what you guys would say about it.

Mar 31, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 3
I wouldn't say the 0404 USB has an aggressive edge....rather, it is detailed and smooth when paired with HD600's, but most of my listening is to well-recorded acoustic/classical material. Bad pop CD's probably do sound aggressive/edgy.

The 0404 USB is powered by a 5V wall wart, though, so that would mean it simply cannot swing the voltage that almost any dedicated headamp can put out. (It must use a transformer to supply the 48V phantom power to the mic inputs, but that is at extremely low current.......I'd have to presume the headamp section runs on only 5V.)

My personal opinion is that the internal headamp is good, but lacks weight and impact compared to my pretty-well maxed PIMETA running anywhere from 12 to 24V.

Apr 1, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 3
Yeah... I haven't tried the 0404's amp with my hd650s, but with my lower impedance w5000s I could notice an immediate lack of fullness of sound. I decided to go back to hauling my amp back and forth from work on Mondays/Fridays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back