0404- level higher or volume higher or monitor volume higher?
Apr 3, 2005 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

rob1031

100+ Head-Fier
emu users shoudl nkow that there are 3 ways of descreasing volume and increasing volumeby the soundcard:

level, main mix volume, and monitor volume

does it matter which one i cut? maybe cutting one will affect sound quality? i cant tell a difference between main mix volume and minotor volume. but (MAYBE psychologically) the level, when cut, doesnt sound as good.

whatcha think?

Apr 3, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 2
If you don't have anything else happening in Patchmix (mixing sound from multiple inputs, using the DSP effects, recording or using a digital output, etc.), I really doubt that it makes any difference which volume control you change.I guess the one thing you would want to avoid would be having one volume control above 0 and another one below 0. It seems like that could cause you to lose dynamic range for no reason.

The reason there are many volume controls is to change volume at a different point in the process. For instance, if you were mastering a digital recording using Patchmix, and listening with headphones directly in the sound card, you would use the main mix level to control the volume being recorded, and the monitor level to control the volume at which you are listening without changing the sound being recorded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back