0404 Gaming
Mar 5, 2006 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Steve Coal

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently been getting back into gaming, and it didn't take long to realize that the 0404 doesn't cut it for gaming. Various aspects (sound effects/music/speech) will cut out at random times in F.E.A.R. for example. So i'm looking for a way around this that isn't a pain (reconfiguring the physical connections to audio components if I want to switch between music listening and gaming setups = a pain).I've checked to see if I have an IRQ conflict and I do not, i've also upgraded to the latest EMU drivers. I seem to recall a thread where someone suggests buying a gaming soundcard and sending the digital out from the gaming card to the EMU card, is this possible?

Thanks,
Steve

Edit: I have a Revo 7.1 so i'm thinking of getting a digital IC to connect it to my EMU..

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 11
What I did before was use the on-board sound for gaming and send the analog signals to the EMU inputs. A second soundcard, with either analog or digital outputs going into the EMU, should work just as well. I did as outlined above as I had no second soundcard at the time and my on-board has no digital output.

Cheers!

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 11
I can't seem to get this setup to work. I've made my Revo the default soundcard and connected the Revo SPDIF to my Emu's SPDIF In via a regular RCA cable. I've tried a bunch of stuff in patchmix that I believe should work. I'm thinking that I need a true digital coaxial cable, am I right? I just checked out the M-Audio Revo manual and it says that a 75 ohm digital coaxial cable is required...

Anybody have a suggestion on where to get a cheap digital coaxial (online)?

Thanks,
Steve

Mar 12, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 11
I actually never had any problems playing FEAR with my 0404.

In fact the 0404 actually performs better compared to my old Revo 5.1.

Mar 12, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 11
the 0404 doesnt work with GTA:SA... works with NFS:MW though... anyway, i am using my audigy2 for games by setting it as default soundcard and sending the signals thru spdif out to the 0404 then to mx5021...

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 11
Steve,

Its not logical what you did...You should connect Revos analog out to 0404 analog in, am i right?

I have Revo 7.1 and im keeping A2 only because it really does gaming better than Revo.
The only thing Revo is worth of money is its bit-perfect digital out.

Btw do you hear any difference between Revo and 0404 digital out?

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 11
I've had 0 problems with newer drivers playing all the new games I've tried with Emu 0404. That includes GTA: SA, Quake4, Civilization 4, Rome: total war, ut2004, half-life 2 and the list goes on.

I did previously have some general game problems such as total cut off and distortion in most games, but that was solved in the newer EMU drivers. I'm currently using 1.81 which is the second-newest drivers and everything works perfectly. Haven't tried 1.82 since these are perfect for me.

I think that currently Emu 0404 is very functional in games too, just remember to have those new drivers and disable any "3d audio" or EAX that those games might have and use regular 2D sound. It'll work.

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ergo
Steve,

Its not logical what you did...You should connect Revos analog out to 0404 analog in, am i right?

I have Revo 7.1 and im keeping A2 only because it really does gaming better than Revo.
The only thing Revo is worth of money is its bit-perfect digital out.

Btw do you hear any difference between Revo and 0404 digital out?

I tried connecting the Revo SPDIF Out to the 0404 SPDIF In with a regular RCA interconnect (which as you say isn't logical).

It isn't an option for me to connect the Revos analog out to the 0404 analog in as I use a Fid-Audio breakout cable (which has no analog inputs, just outputs).

I have no component to connect the Revo or 0404 digital outs to (other than themselves), and i'm still waiting on a digital coaxial cable to be shipped to me.

- Steve

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #10 of 11
My 1212m worked fine in FEAR, but you have to terminate the CThelper process and maybe one other thing, I forgot.
Although I admit it was a pain to find out I had to do that.
I d like to add that I had 0 problems with any other game. FEAR was just rushed to market

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ15k
My 1212m worked fine in FEAR, but you have to terminate the CThelper process and maybe one other thing, I forgot.
Although I admit it was a pain to find out I had to do that.
I d like to add that I had 0 problems with any other game. FEAR was just rushed to market

I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back