0404 crackling problems
Dec 12, 2005 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mitchmalibu

Head-Fier
Hi,

i've been using an emu 0404 for 2 weeks now. It works like a charm when it comes to music listening (flac with foobar, 32 bit no dither, asio) but whenever i try to do anything else with it (in fact when it's not using asio) i can hear some cracklings which are rather annoying. even the test sound in dxdiag is crackling as hell. I'm currently using drivers 1.82 and patchmix 1.81 (with the music listening session @ 44.1khz). I tried to change the pci slot (in case it was some irq problems but i guess the fact the it only happens out of asio limits the problem to some software issues. I'd be glad to get some help on this one =)

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 8
Try turning off AMD Cool N Quiet in your Bios (in the case that you're using an Athlon64 processor). I know that it caused much crackling for me when I used to have it on
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 8
it's already disabled but thanks for the tip.

Dec 12, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 8
You might want to try the tuning tips at www.musicxp.net. If that doesn't work try using older drivers like I am. I am not sure which version, I checked my cd and couldn't tell from that, but I'm using the ones that came on there.

Dec 12, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks, but none of these work, and i doubt it's an hardware problem since sound with foobar is crystal clear. I'll try to format and make a clean install with the bundled drivers and i'll contact emu if no luck.

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 8
ok, i found the source of the problem. One of my sata hdd set itself as a pio drive which lead to some really nasty cpu load while reading/writing data (like 96/98%). I just deleted and reinstalled ide channel drivers and the drive went back at his original state (eg udma6).

Really silly problem but i can finally enjoy my 0404.

I hope this can solve someone else problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back