0404 capacitors: last quick question
Mar 14, 2005 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
i'm planning to get 10 270uF/16V sanyo oscon SP capacitors from diyparadise at a price of approxiamately $23 shipped.

http://brian.osupages.com/audio/pict.../0404mods2.jpg

my question is: WILL I BE OK WITH 16V FOR ALL CAPS? including the red ones? i've been informed that pci cards only recieve 16v, so i assume i'm ok, but i'd like to confirm

also: i'm not sure exactly what space i have, but does someone know how big these caps are? can i fit them?

Mar 14, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez
What rating are the original caps?

see the picture

ps: i just realized i have the older version, the 8850, so i'll be needing to replace the purple caps as well. i'm thinking of using the same capacitence as the rest

so 12caps total

replacing yellow red and purple, removing everything green. changing orange opamp to browndog with dip8 socket so i can opamp roll.

pps: i've already done all these mods save the cap replacements on another 0404, so this isn't my first shot

Mar 14, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 12
16V 270uf? Physically too big.

http://www.semicom.co.uk/manufacture...oducts_sp.html

Stock caps which are 47uf and 100uf you maybe replace with this as you're able to get through but will be tight since the space between the leads are far apart. For the 10uf caps, the holes are too small for these to even go through i believe.

Mar 14, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
16V 270uf? Physically too big.

http://www.semicom.co.uk/manufacture...oducts_sp.html

Stock caps which are 47uf and 100uf you maybe replace with this as you're able to get through but will be tight since the space between the leads are far apart. For the 10uf caps, the holes are too small for these to even go through i believe.

thank you lan. so, i suppose i'm stuck with going with stock values with oscons?

would this be possible?
1. replace yellow and purple with 47uF/16V oscons
2. replace red with 180uF/20V oscons

what do you think?

ablaze replaced with oscons. hey, ablaze: what values did you use?

Mar 14, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Did you take a look at the datasheet to see the sizes of the various caps?

Mar 14, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 12
I can't remember off-hand what valued caps I used, and the oscon-ed card is already on its way to a buyer. I don't think I went as high as 270uF for the red caps though, but 180uF should fit. the yellow cap holes can accomdodate more than 68uF, I think 100uF at least. the hole size on the board weren't really a problem, more the physical size of the caps.
emuosconmed.jpg

the yellow decoupling caps got 68uF in the picture. I remember cos I just took a look at those two before I packed it lol

Mar 15, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Did you take a look at the datasheet to see the sizes of the various caps?

yes, but i'm unsure of the size of the original caps, and i'm not experienced in "how much i can squeeze" etc.

thanks ablaze. i think i'll do what i meantioned above

ps: where'd you get the caps, and how much did you pay for each?

Mar 15, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
yes, but i'm unsure of the size of the original caps, and i'm not experienced in "how much i can squeeze" etc.

It's time to take out the metric ruler
wink.gif
for the diameter of the caps.

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah

thanks ablaze. i think i'll do what i meantioned above

ps: where'd you get the caps, and how much did you pay for each?

I've got a shop locally which sells some limited oscons and thats where I got em from. I don't know exactly how much each costs since I bought a whole bunch without asking for a price breakdown.

can somebody puhllllleeeeaaaseee tell me how to bias the opamps to Class A with a CRD?
confused.gif

Mar 15, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back