0-dB/Buffer Amp: Szekeres' Amp Again! 200k!
May 28, 2006 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Tomo

DIY tube amps can be SHOCKING
Hi,

I think I started to build the very first amp I have ever built again 2 months ago. Well ... I just finished today. So here you go.

IMGP1902.jpg

IMGP1900.jpg

This is a simple as you can get Szekeres Amp. This amp is built in the belief that voltage gain is not necessay for low impedance can. Recent few years, sources have become more and more efficient and their output level climbed high. It is now rare to see CDP outputing less than 1V in the line-out. If you are fool enough (like me) to plug Gain 10X amp to the line-out, you should have nearly blew your head off (or at least throw off of your chair). So we go 0-dB ... Gain 1X.

Component values are changed so I can use parts from my stock. Only modification I have made is the PSU bypass. It uses one OSCON 100uF per channel and two 2200uF HFQ (dual-mono). PSU is external. Generic Metal-Film Resistors. Nobel 50K.

Amp is entirely done Point-to-Point. No board. Which makes sense since I used very big parts here. PSU wiring got screwed up because I wasn't planning on using this particular chasis (which is COOL) and having R on top and L on bottom chasis. Note also the MOSFETs are bolted to the chasis which is why you don't see those infernal heatsinks.

Although the wiring level is amature to say the least, since the amp has no voltage gain and I created very nice solid grounding, it is silent. The electrolytic coupling caps are GENERIC. Despite what is being said, if you keep the caps small, the effect is negligible. (And, the leads won't support ENLA or BG which tend to be larger. OSCON's small, but too expensive for me.)

I have to wait for few days before, the caps "burn-in." But I can hear it is very nice sounding with Senn PX100. As expected LOW-END is stronger; as a buffer it increases the current that the headphones can eat. HIGH comes out fairly transparent. This is a surprise since generic electrolytics aren't known to show that character. It could be the result of using much tightly packed polypropylene caps (Siemen MKP 0.47uF) instead of SOLEN 4.7uF.

On a personal note, I really enjoyed building Szekeres amp again. It is very simple and takes very little time. And this time, I gave it a chasis it deserves. I feel embarrassed, but I am feeling a great sense of accomplishment. ... I feel like I built the great wall of china by myself.

Tomo

May 28, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomo
On a personal note, I really enjoyed building Szekeres amp again. It is very simple and takes very little time. And this time, I gave it a chasis it deserves. I feel embarrassed, but I am feeling a great sense of accomplishment. ...

Very nicely done! And you should not be embarassed to feel pride, it is well deserved. There is nothing quite like the feeling of getting something done and having it not only look good but work well too!

Nate

May 29, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 20
Yeah,

Going back to the starting point of my DIY career was all so refreshing too. I added few cool stuffs like bolting MOSFETs to chasis directly. You know the clip is Drain so you have to isolated it. I recently found these isolating washers and itching to use them.

Oh another thing, I think I am using the same IRF510's I used 6 years back. I pulled these out from my junk amp. These transistors have been pounded, pulled, stepped-on, mis-soldered, etc. Darn things are real tough.

My dear MOSFETs, I salute you.

Tomo

May 29, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 20
Beautiful work. Super clean. Tomo, I salute you!

完全さ

May 29, 2006 at 10:38 AM Post #10 of 20
It is a Noble pot. 50K ohms. I have three of these collecting dust. I thought about using the tiny ALPS, but I had a lot of space anyway.

Quote:

Very nice modest looking amp.

My thoughts exactly. It ain't gold placed. It ain't super-sophisticated. Hell, ... I used USED MOSFETS even! I thought about Neutrik socket but I had more of these plastic types. (Mini-jack is a fancy one, though)

Do you think I need a METAL volume dial?

T

P.S. I now understand what is missing. It's a pilot lamp. I was meaning to do it, but completely forgotten about it. Probably I am not gonna install one. I am too lazy and the amp sounds excellent as it is. ...

May 31, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Aw! That hurts! Are those push-in breadboards? Gawd. I thought I was being naughty!
tongue.gif

Yep , push in plug boards
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have been running like that for months!
eek.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #14 of 20
Hey,

You should consider getting a case like me. Mine makes really awesome footwarmer and handwarmer in the winter. (It is just HOT during the summer. ... )

One thing though. Since I am using a switching PSU, the grounding doesn't go to the real ground. So the chasis is every slightly charged. I can feel it. ... I think I might have to get a different wallwart with the third plong (ground).

Oh let me tell you ... I am a big fun of using SWITCHING PSUs!! (If they are good of course. I am not a fool. Well I act like one sometimes, but I am not really a fool.)

T

Jun 2, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Hey,

You should consider getting a case like me. Mine makes really awesome footwarmer and handwarmer in the winter. (It is just HOT during the summer. ... )

One thing though. Since I am using a switching PSU, the grounding doesn't go to the real ground. So the chasis is every slightly charged. I can feel it. ... I think I might have to get a different wallwart with the third plong (ground).

Oh let me tell you ... I am a big fun of using SWITCHING PSUs!! (If they are good of course. I am not a fool. Well I act like one sometimes, but I am not really a fool.)

T

Yours looks great, nice and tidy
biggrin.gif

I considered using a metal case that doubled as a heatsink.
But I like the look of all those 'big' bold components [love the chunky
heatsinks and planar resitors] and want to make something where
they are visible, maybe using a Led to dramatically light
the parts like a little city block!
tongue.gif

The attached model pic shows How the parts will likely be positioned, the
open spaces are for the sockets and input lcr filtering for the ER4 phones.
I fancy making some sort of artistic cage affair for the enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back