0 -> 100$ DAC+AMP combo... needs to be able to be a "stand-alone" amp
Jan 30, 2011 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Coach-Z

New Head-Fier
This is my first thread here on head-fi.org.

I realize that there are several threads on this site regarding my question, but they're all kinda old, and I was hoping that something new, better and most of all cheaper had come along in the meanwhile :wink:...

I am really in-experienced when it comes to audio, so bare with me as I take my first babysteps in this world :wink:

I need a DAC + AMP solution to hook up my laptop and headphones to my amplifier.

I need the amp to hook up my newly purchased Superlux HD681 headphones to my old BeoMaster 6500 amplifier.
I need the DAC to get the sound from my laptop to my B&O amplifier.

As I see it, I need RCA/phono-in plugs (and of course mini- or normal jack-out) to get the sound from my amplifier out to my head phones. (so far I only listen to music from CD's, I have a great CD player)

I also need USB-in and and RCA/phono-out to get the thing to work as a DAC between my laptop and amplifier. (I want to watch movies on my tv using a streaming tv supplier, but the sound from my laptop mini-jack -> phono is really awful, hence the need for a DAC in between laptop and amp). 

I do not want to spend a lot of money...
in fact the B&O system I have was a gift from my brother who wanted to throw it out; my luck :wink:.

I got the Superlux headphones after reading a bunch of reviews telling how great they were for the price of them... Value for money, and all that.

Total spent on HiFi so far would be around the 200$ (I had the B&O in for a tune up, before putting it to use)...

I've been looking at a few options, but the one I that I've found that seems to solve all my problems is out of my price range... the Aune USB Dac.
http://reviews.audioreview.com/aune-mini-headphone-dac-user-review/

It does all the things I want it to do, but its 150$ on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUNE-HIFIDIY-NET-Mini-USB-DAC-Headphone-Amp-MK2-/350240347903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518bf396ff#ht_11190wt_1139

after searching through the threads on this forum I found a few references to the Behringer UCA202
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx

It seems to do the trick, and it's dirt cheap, but it needs a USB powersupply to make it stand alone (I cant use my laptop all the time, the wife might want to use it as well :wink:..)

Would the Behringer do the trick for me, if I could find a USB powersupply for it?

I also looked at the Xiangsheng DAC-01. I saw a post here on head-fi.org that the cost was around 75$, but I haven't been able to find it, at that price.

What would you guys recommend.

/Coach-Z

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi,

Did some more research and stumbled upon the Topping TP-D2 dac/amp..

It is slightly cheaper

And there's also the Topping TP30...

This requires me to raise my minimum amount to 150-160$, but would that be worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back